Herding Instinct Test in Virginia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Herding Instinct Test in Virginia

In the constant search for new and fun things to do with Tara, I would like to see if she has any interest in herding. It looks like the closest place in Virginia is Keepstone Farms in Berryville with Susan Rhoades. I was just wondering if anyone here was familiar with them or if anyone had any other recommendations in my area to try herding?

Also, I'm wondering if this is even a good idea. She has seen a couple sheep before, while we were at a farmer's market. She was curious at first, but as soon as one came straight towards her (on the other side of the fence) she reacted by barking and raising her hackles. At this time in her short time with us, she acted nervous, but her confidence has increased tremendously since then. I would definitely discuss this with her trainer and whoever we contact about the test, but wanted to see what you all thought here.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

Re: Herding Instinct Test in Virginia

I have not been to Keepstone Farms, but a few of my friends have taken their gsd's out there for testing and I have heard nothing but good things about Susan.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Re: Herding Instinct Test in Virginia

I took my US show lines male to a herding instinct test a while ago and it was a real hoot! He LOVED it so much that even the light stick she used across the muzzle when he got a little too enthusiastic about herding the sheep did not discourage him in the least.

great fun with him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page