We went herding today! (Pic Hvy) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

We went herding today! (Pic Hvy)

I have wanted to do this for a long time so today I finally took Zisso and Nadia out to Ewetopia in Roy WA and Zisso got the start of his makeover (learning to be nice to other dogs with me learning how to not be reactive) and they both got to go herding. The gal in the pen with us said that Zisso is 'Very Intense' with the sheep. Z was more confident than Nadi, who kept them grouped tightly together quite nicely as she circled them continuosly . We had a good day, with no snarkyness(is that even a word? lol) from Zisso towards other dogs. My good friend John went along to help and see what it was all about and was kind enough to take the pics for me. Now that we are home, they are both resting comfortably

Zisso with no hesitation

Getting 'up close'

She called him intense

Good Boy!!

Nadi asking "Can I really?"

Warming up

Having a blast!

Nice tight group of sheepies

With her mama

Thanks for lookin' !!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

Re: We went herding today! (Pic Hvy)

That's awesome.Athena would either scare them with her barking or attack them.Or run the other way all the way home.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Knighted Member

WOW! How cool!
Did she just do that on her own?
I think my dog would be scared!

Ps. Shes very pretty!

Kilo- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Allie...LOL...Zisso DID bark a few times at the sheep! They didn't seem to mind tho...I think they are pretty used to barking dogs. There were a lot of them there!

Angel R, Thank you! Yes, each dog, once they were in the pen and off leash did their thing by instinct basically. I did have to encourage Nadia some, and there were a few times that Zisso was just sniffing the fence, so of course I didn't post the pic of that...haha

At some point each dog came to stand by me while in the pen. Altho they were supposed to be herding, I was very happy to have them come to me for reassurance

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Master Member

Looks like a total blast.

My girl would be beside herself, totally turned on, but she wouldn't bark, silent focus with maybe a whine to get at them, not sure she wouldn't want to bite them though.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

We went back to herding again tonight. I could not go Sunday which was disappointing because it was a beautiful day. The gal that was in the pen with us, the guy who runs the place and another lady all said both dogs did great! No pics this time because it was getting too dark too fast. Zisso was the first dog, Nadi was next and after, they were watching the sheep very intently! I am really excited about herding since it is great for them, and I get to learn stuff too!!

Even better, Zisso met about 4 different dogs and no problem. The difference being that my friend, John, was at the other end of the leash. I am going back Sunday and Joe is going to work with me on being able to let my dog meet, because I know his problem is what he feels coming down the leash from me! Nadi started to meet another dog but nipped at his face so she will need that addressed as well. I think Sunday will be a very interesting day!!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

That is great you are able to do this so often! Fun!!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Today was our 3rd trip to go herding. I am not sure these are lessons per say, as we are just beginning.

First of all, I want to start taking them on my own without my friend John helping. He never wants to visit the other people out there and get to know them, so it makes me feel 'stuck up' and anti social, which I am not. I want to get to know other people who are also working their dogs!!

So here is how our morning went:
Sign up starts at 6am~I was there at 6:35 After I signed up, I stopped to get more coffee, etc then came and loaded up crates, and dogs.
Joe is the guy who owns and operates the place. Today he took Nadi and just held onto her leash as he talked to some people, to get her used to him for a few minutes. When it was time for us to go in the pen(we were 1st on the list) Joe conducted the lesson. Nadi is high energy and she did excellent in there. She turned easily for Joe and kept her distance, gave the sheep space, but kept them tight.

Then Zisso was in (we were also 2nd on the list )and the lady from our original trip went in to conduct his lesson. Zisso likes to taste them sheep and at one point he got a mouthful of wool and he kept zooming in for the grab so had to be backed off with the stick. After a good blow(for lack of a better word on my part), he finally figured out that he has to behave, and can't bite the sheep.

The only thing that went wrong today was that Nadi decided that she did not like someone that got too close to her and John outside the pen when Z was getting his turn. John stopped her, but did not really correct her, if that makes sense. She had her prong collar on, but he does not understand that a simple flick of the wrist and a firm NO is all it takes. He is a soft touch, and has a soft voice, so I doubt she even heard him tell her to knock it off. I sooo wish that I had been out there with her when that happened so I could have corrected her properly!! I watch everything my dogs do regardless of who has the leashes (unless I am in the pen which is when this happened) and I try to avoid letting anything like happen in the first place.

Overall, the lessons are going great! I am learning to relax. The dogs are learning to herd the sheep. It is fun, even in the rain I played with the dogs a bit when we got home and now they are napping

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

This sounds fun. I always wanted to take Morgan to do that but the local place is too far and the kids wouldn't be welcome.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Elite Member

I did the instinct test tehn a 2 day seminar on tending, they used 20 sheep, what a blast! The dogs loved it and somehow settled right in adn did it.I hope to do more of it and can't stop telling people how amazing cause you can't really teach instinct, and they just knew it. Truthfully I need more training than the dogs, the use of the crook I didn't get and the dogs seemed to understand for the instructor what it meant. I am glad you are keeping at it, I love dogs thinking and having fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page