herding video/pics from today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

herding video/pics from today

Well I have been taking Kessy herding for about a month now (once a week) and she is doing really well. It's an awesome outlet for her energy and she seems to really enjoy it. I took my video camera with me and got a video of the last part of our lesson.

Oh just a warning - I know the sound is low so you can't hear much but don't turn it up all the way because I have to yell at her once or twice LOL I don't want to blow anyones eardrums out...and it's better to watch in high quality since I can't zoom in too far with the camera I have. It's old...but it gets the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYMEou8p4k

I also took some still shots from the video - they are not super clear but they aren't too bad!!

She is really getting the idea of running the border. At some point we will put me inside the fence with the sheep and then will start to take the fence down so she will have to work the border on her own. That will be fun...she is SO fast I will have to be really quick to block her! But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it LOL

Oh - I also may be able to get a sheep or two to butcher for the dogs' raw diet. I am so excited, they are grass-fed and free range sheep, I couldn't ask for much more! I just need to clear out some room in my freezer, it is FULL of meat for the dogs right now...

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Master Member

Re: herding video/pics from today

That is an interesting way of training herding. Does your trainer start all dogs this way?

Missing Alex
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes...this is tending-style herding, which is what GSD's were originally bred to do. They do not drive the sheep but create a living fence for large (200+) herds of sheep.
It is much different than the herding you see with BC's for example but it is how all tending dogs are started. Eventually I hope to get an HGH on her but that is a tough title and it will take a while to get her there!

I forgot to mention, the lesson is probably 30 minutes long of solid work, the video was the last 4-5 minutes it it.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Knighted Member

Very nice! I wish Toozer would border like that. She will keep the sheep contained but will stand and watch until they decide to move, lol...lazy girl.

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MTAussieThat is an interesting way of training herding. Does your trainer start all dogs this way?
I agree! Neat to see how different people teach. We also do large flock herding (AHBA, no HGH around here...and it is different than Course C) and our trainer had us do the border a bit different (but, for AHBA, there isn't a boundary/footing that the dogs run - just cones set up around the graze).

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

take a look at my pics of the first time herding, they are down a few items, adn we have no fence. They spread manure to make a border, and when we entered the field she said Ok let them go, amazing. Read my story, this is a greaet sport, gotta find a place to do it all the time
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, this is so cool! I am envious! What beautiful pictures. I'm unable to see the vid, but the photos are super! Cool deal on the raw lamb!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

Awsome photo's!

I can't wait to see Stark do some herding in the future.. looks like they have so much fun!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page