HT or PT? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

HT or PT?

I'm seeking clarification. HT should come first, right, because the PT supersedes it as a title designation?

I realize that the tests aren't required to start trialing, but because we are at a very novice level with our herding knowledge, I want to work Katie through each test before trialing.

TIA!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Knighted Member

Re: HT or PT?

HT is first, correct. (Herding Tested)
PT comes next (Pre Trial)

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Gracie's trainer skipped over the HT and went right to the PT. She felt the HT is what we were doing in training and why just let her run willie-nillie with the sheep. Do the PT which has a stop and penning the sheep in it.

Whatever you choose HAVE FUN!!!! It's addicting!!!!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Knighted Member

Jen....why does your trainer think that the HT is running willie-nillie with the sheep? I'm just curious.

We did the HT ages ago, and from what I remember it calls for the dog/sheep to be under control as you move the sheep between cones. You also have to demonstrate a stop (at the beginning and end of the run) and a recall. I'm glad we did the HT first - more practice for the humans in a trial setting!!! I was so nervous during the HT (even though we had done the course so many times and were working on the PT already) and I know Leyna picked up on that. I'm not saying that I disagree with skipping the HT - it depends on the dog, humans (esp the humans in our case!), and trial dates (how long you have to train before a trial comes up).

Here is some info on the HT and PT that I found...

http://www.stockdog.com/courses/akctest.htm

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

She just felt that Gracie had already progressed ot the point of the PT in training and said I didn't need to waste my time or money on the HT. She felt the PT was much more organized than an HT. Just her opinion though. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just glad we went straight to the PT as we discovered Gracie's back problem and she's had to sit out herding since October. Hopefully we'll be cleared to go back soon - and if not, then we still have 2 nice green ribbons with sheep on them

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Neat link! Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Knighted Member

Our ribbons don't have sheep on them....

You know, I can see why, if you are an experienced handler that you might want to skip the HT. But then again, one of the trainers (not our trainer though, but is a herding judge/breeder) at our facility took one of her dogs through the HT when we did ours. So, it probably depends on who you train with.

We had to take a long break as well (between the HT and PT)...and the dogs seemed to pick right back up (it had to have been over 6 months that we weren't training). Humans on the other hand....needed a refresher!

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page