First official herding lesson pretty dismal! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

First official herding lesson pretty dismal!

Ozzy took a herding instinct test last September and did really, really well! He did so well that he got a standing ovation from some of the onlookers who were there with their Aussies.

Cut to now and I have finally been able to get us a lesson last weekend - 30 minutes. All Ozzy wanted to do was play with the sheep. I never saw so much play bowing from him in my life. He had a few shining moments, but nothing compared to what he did in September.

I hate to say this, but I am so disappointed. We are going to try again, next time with perhaps smaller sheep? (I think that is what she said). Anyway, I think our instructor was less than impressed, although she did think Ozzy was very sweet, I assume too sweet for herding.

Anyway, just wanted to vent.

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: First official herding lesson pretty dismal!

How old is he?

And I'd rather have playbowing then jumping on them to take them out for supper. Yummy, fresh mutton.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM

maybe he was having an off day?

Erin, Matilda's mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Master Member

lola,

Hang in there! The sheep followed Sugar at first because she was white! That was pretty disappointing! She got much better as time went on, keep going!
Where are you going to lessons?

Missing Alex
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

He's between 2 and 3.

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Debbie from Cheswood Kennels comes to Ashland about every other month, so we went out to Ashland. A couple out here have about 12 sheep and a few Aussies, so they open up their farm for lessons. We've also tried to see her in Chesapeake but she always books up so fast!

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Master Member

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to see if she has anything available to get started in herding again!
What did she have you do for your first session?

Missing Alex
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She just assesed Ozzy again. Lots of me staying with the sheep and Ozzy following. Ozzy is a very cautious dog, so it takes him awhile to get started.

Ozzy and I would also separate from the sheep and tell Ozzy to bring them back to us, which he did most of the time with some prodding. But once he would get them back with us, it was playbowing and playbarking. He was just dying to get something started.

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Master Member

That can be nice when they are a little cautious instead of rushing right through the group and trying to take a chunk out!
I am just wondering how she starts people. I started Sugar just seeing how she would react, on leash, and then with three sheep in a small pen. Both trainers I worked with like to use rakes to keep them out and move them at first.

thanks for the info!

Missing Alex
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We were in a small pen with three sheep. Pretty big ones too which is why I think she may want to try him with smaller sheep to start. He was not on leash at all as it was clear he wasn't going to do any harm. No rake or stick either - Ozzy responded to her arm. One good thing about him, he is VERY responsive to even slightest movements/corrections. Part of his cautiousness/anxiousness perhaps?

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page