Overnight wart growth on muzzle & nose? (pics) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Overnight wart growth on muzzle & nose? (pics)

This is freaking me out only because it has happened so fast!
Last night, I noticed what seemed a scab on Keeta's nose.
This morning, it had spread in breath and width. Also noticed this morning a small red swelling on her muzzle, about the size of a shirt button, still covered in face fuzz.

This evening this is what it looked like:

Shows the size and shape better. It isn't bothering her, feels smooth and soft to the touch.

Hard to show the scab on her nose, as it is dark like the surrounding area, but it is spreading. Like I said, last night, it looked like a scrach, now it looks like an abrasion. It is slightly elevated, and rough and hard to the touch, like dry, scaling skin:

I have already made a vet appointment for Thursday morning, but these things have appeared overnight and are growing like crazy, and wonder if I should insisit on getting a vet to see her tomorrow. Keeta is guestimated at around four years old, and is on BARF.

Anyone have any idea what this is? I tried to google dog facial growths/warts, but didn't come up with anything that looked like what Keeta has.

Thanks for your help!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Overnight wart growth on muzzle & nose? (pics)

I think it is either a bit or an allergic reaction to something. There was another post about bump on a dogs nose. Let me see if I can find it.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

Check out this post:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post794027

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

I wonder if it's an abscess? Is it hot to the touch?

Here's something you can do that won't hurt but should reveal whether or not it's an abscess. Make a hot compress with a washcloth and some hot water and hold it on there. If it starts oozing out puss and blood then it's an abscess.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

could it be a staph infection?
I understand GS do have problems with that
Good luck at the Vet and so sorry you are having this problem
I will remember you and Keeta in my prayers

Take care

KATHY
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Crowned Member

I'm nearly positive it's a histiocytoma. They're small benign tumors that spring up nearly overnight and usually go away on their own. Usually they're on the dog's head or muzzle, and typically show up on young dogs but can be on older ones as well.

By all means have it looked at to rule out more sinister possibilities like mast cell tumors, but it looks like an absolutely classic histocytoma, in which case - no biggie.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

the one on her muzzle is more typical looking but this site has a pic of one that looks more like the one on her nose:

http://www.answers.com/topic/histiocytoma-dog

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Crowned Member

Here I thought I was winning the Internet diagnosis prize! I just read the other thread. Looks like that one was a histiocytoma too. Oh well. I'm not the innovator I thought I was.

If that's what this turns out to be too (and I'm nearly sure it is), my vet said sometimes fiddling with them can actually help them go away faster. stimulates the immune response or something.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on the collective knowledge and wisdom of the board!

Funny that other thread you linked, Val, the pics are almost the same as the ones I posted!

Don't think it is an abcess, there is no heat, and it isn't painful. It does seem to be a hystocytoma. Not sure if that is how it would present itself on the nose leather?

I will get it checked out, but it is nice to have an idea of what it can be. Another question, is this caused by a virus? Can it be transmitted to other dogs?

One reason I would like to know is because of the bite-work Keeta does. The same sleeve will be used for different dogs - so is this something that could be transmited through saliva?

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Crowned Member

Nope, definitely not contagious.

Here's some good technical info for you: http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/woods/index.php

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page