torn muscle healing time - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

torn muscle healing time

alright some of u may remember me freaking out about tyson limping. well after a bunch of trial and errors we finally did x-rays and it was deteremined that it is a muscle pull. i was talking to a tech at the vet who also has a GSD and her boy was going through the same problem (her boy is only a few months older than tyson) and apparently he had to be on bed rest for 4 months! well its been about 3-4 months since i first noticed the limping after he had been playing with another pup. he still limps, some days its a slight limp and others it may be a little worse depending on the amount of time he had been on it. i've been trying to search the internet but i cant seem to ask the right question to get the answer i need so if any of u could help me out on how long this may last it would be greatly appreciated.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

Re: torn muscle healing time

Well is it torn or sprained? When Gracie sprained her cruciate, she did 15 days of rimadly and 3 -4 full weeks of rest. By rest that means NO jumping, not even to get on the couch, not into or out of the car, not for balls or frisbees. NO stairs. NO type of work or training (other than mind games to tire him out). A lot of time in the crate with mind games (like a frozen kong). LEASH walk only for pee and poo breaks. After 2 weeks I started walking her 4 houses down and back. It was a very difficult time but she has healed so it was worth it....and I now have a very well behaved dog on a leash (finally).

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

its either a sprain or a torn muscle...OCD, pano, and displasia have been ruled out. he has gotten better with his limping also so i let him out in the yard without a leash and i we take short walks. when we are done he goes back into the crate just to keep anything from straining.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Crowned Member

Kelso at about 20 months all the sudden had a limp, we went to the vet and he said he must have sprained something..the vet ultimately called it tendontits and we rested him for 1-2 wks with some NSAIDS and he has been great since!

I think he probably just overused or twisted something like we do. He is now back in full force

hope your dog feels better soon!

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 PM

When my Heidi was 6 months old, she improperly introduced to a rowdy dane mix. The other puppy scared the bejeebers out of Heidi and was running away from her with the dane chasing her (fun game for the dane). She slid on a spot and ran into a trailer. She had a limp that wouldn't go away so took her in for an exray. Tendonitis was her prognosis too. Vet had her on rest for 6 weeks!! Virtually impossible for a pup. But, we were allowed leash walks (forward motion ok); and did lots of mental stimulation to keep her from going stir crazy. It was the running and jumping around twisting like a crazy fool that we needed to hinder so she could heal.

Seemed like forever, but she did heal and haven't had any problems with it since (she's 19 months old now).

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page