German Shepherds Forum banner

how do i prevent my puppy from getting unhealthy?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Petra's Dad 
#1 ·
so some months ago i got a good quality german shepherd puppy from a reputed breeder.before bringing him home, i deep cleaned my home with bleach several times to kill any deseases.he was very healthy and active when he came home .he was about 50 days old and already had one of his vaccination shots and some extra just in case.i also did not bring any hazardous thing like chocolate or raisins that could cause anemia. 2 days later, he suddenly stopped eating and got lethargic.i have no idea how but i immediately took him to the vet and we found that he was anemic.thw vet immediately did tests of all kind and there was literally nothing that was reactive.we were confused.i dont know how but his health kept degrading and his anemia got worse. i am sure he did not eat anything that lead to anemia.he did not have deseases of any kind.so he eventually died a painful death which left me in shock.
now i am planning to get another GS puppy but i am too scared to get one.
so my question was what do you guys think led to anemia in my poor pup?what did i possibly do wrong? was that the correct age (50 days) to get a puppy?and what can i do inside my home to prevent this with my next pup?what extra measures can i take?i have no problem in affording expenses as long as my puppy is healthy and safe.

#2 ·
Have you spoken to the breeder about your previous pup? If not, you should and I would not go back to that same breeder. Two days after getting the pup from the breeder does not seem right.
The first day you get the pup, immediately take the pup to the vet to get checked out, the same day.
Puppies are super prone to get sick so you would have to be on top of it when they do show any signs. I would try not to bleach everywhere at the home where they will be fumes existing once the pup arrives home, maybe that is fine, but that is just me.
I don't think you did anything wrong basing off your post.
Puppies can get expensive because of all the vet visits for shots and just there weaker immune system.
Just make sure you have a clean crate, clean water, good food and lots of toys for chewing. Go to the vet for their scheduled shots and go to the vet as soon as you see anything that is not normal. Also pay attention to their stool.

Hope this info helps!

I adopted a 3 month old GSD from a neighbor and he had worms in his stool a couple times within a few months..but went to the vet the same day for treatment.

#4 ·
I'm guessing you are possibly in India or somewhere in that region? While it is common practice outside the US to home puppies before 8 weeks of age it is not recommended here in the US. Research shows that pups need to be with their dam and litter mates until 8 weeks for a host of reasons. If possible, try to find a breeder willing to keep the pup with it's mom until that time giving better odds of a better outcome all around.

I'm sorry you lost your last pup so soon and at such a tender age. I don't think you did anything wrong. I'm guessing the pup had something terribly wrong from birth that couldn't be avoided.

Important things to remember: make sure from the start that the pup does not have intestinal parasites. Heavy worm loads can cause anemia. Clean water and quality food/balanced diet available from the start. Should you decide to get another pup try to schedule a vet exam the same day or next day. Puppy vaccinations given to soon are thought to be worthless and only need to be repeated taxing the pups immune system. In the US our protocols are likely different and I can't comment on your local laws, regulations and practices regarding them because I don't know them.
Obvious concerns for all pups is parvo virus and distemper no matter where you live.

I wouldn't worry about bleaching everything. If your home is generally clean and there had been no parvo or distemper on your property then you shouldn't need to worry.

I hope you find a wonderful and healthy pup to bring home.

#6 ·
yes i do live in India and it is extremely difficult to find a breeder who would care for puppies for more than 5 weeks.breeding is so bad here that the pups are taken away from their mother after 3 weeks or so.i will definitely try to find a puppy of atleast 2 months and make sure he was with his mother and had her milk.
also my pup never had any desease or worms .we did each and every kind of test but found out nothing.he died after 12 days of treatment which did not help him at all. i even tried to change the vet two times but every vet had the same treatment for him.i am still very confused. we took good care of him all the time.i hardly slept those 12 days to keep an aye on him during night. we had the best vet.idk man.. i just cannot get over his death, he was my first german shepherd.

anyway, I'll be extra careful the next time.do my research well before getting another.thank you very much for the precious information! : ).

#7 ·
I had a puppy called her Layla she was so beautiful she was to be my 8th and last GSD She died @ 1 year old 12 months was playing with her sisters 1 human the other looked more like her =)
All I can tell you is it gets easier every day and then poof you don't worry about it anymore

#11 ·
Reported post above....

I know this is a couple months old, but sorry to hear about your puppy loss. Must have been devastating. As others have already posted, it sounds like you did everything correct. We would need to hear more information apart from what you stated to ensure there was nothing else that could have done it such as temperature of where the dog stayed, where the dog slept, type of food being fed and how often etc. It is also possible the dog had ate something from the breeder before you obtained it. Most likely as already stated it was genetic if nothing else is glaringly obvious. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.