German Shepherds Forum banner

Sudden Diarrhea

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tc68 
#1 ·
So, Friday night my 6 mo jumped off my bed and had diarrhea on my floor. She had it all Saturday, Sunday, and today. The only thing different lately was she went to the vet on Friday. She went for itching her butt a lot and so they got a sample to test for a UTI in case. We don’t have the money to go to the vet again because they didn’t tell us they were gonna use a needle to get the sample, so we ended up having to be $303 for something we didn’t even want to do. But, besides that. They had her in the back with them to try to get her to pee, so I don’t know if she picked up something or ate something. I read that stress causing diarrhea usually resolves in a day or 2. So, it’s not that. Any thought? I know none of you are medical professionals, but I just want other opinions. And I should clarify, it’s not necessary diarrhea, but loose stool.

#3 ·
The distinction between diarea and loose stools is important. A 6 month old having diarea for 3 days should see a Vet, they can become severely dehydrated quickly! Loose stools happen from time to time with most puppies. As long as she's eating well, drinking plenty of water, and is active I would just wait and watch for improvement. It can be caused by stress, or by eating something that doesn't agree with them, or a change in activity or diet. Did it firm up at all in the 3 days?

Reactions: Springbrz
#4 ·
I know you don't want to hear this but it is likely something that is going to need vet intervention. Call your vet and ask if you can bring in a stool sample without seeing the dog since they just saw her. Get it checked. It could be giardia or coccidia that needs specific prescription medications. If her stools comes back positive one would hope they would prescribe the meds without an office visit saving you some cash.

In the mean time you can put her on a bland diet to ease GI distress. That would be boneless boiled chicken (or cooked rinse ground beef) and double cooked( twice the water) white rice in place of her normal meals for a few days. Make sure she is drinking well and doesn't dehydrate. Dehydration dangerous in all dogs but especially in young dogs.

Also watch for signs of blood in the stool and fevers and lethargy. If any of those happen it is a trip to the vet.

Ask your vet about care credit if cost is an issue. if you qualify you can pay it off over time. They often have 0% interest if you pay the bill off in a determined amount of time like 6 months.

#5 ·
It could also be the food. Maybe a rancid bag if you've recently opened a new one. Butt licking and loose stool could be sign of food sensitivity as well.
Try the bland diet and if stools become normal and you are planning a food switch introduce the new food slowly with the bland diet phasing out the bland food.

#7 ·
Have you fasted the dog for at least 24 hours? The gut needs a rest period in these cases.
We had the same issue here recently. Fasted him for 27 hours, then gave two heaping tablespoons of plain, non flavored yogurt.
Bland food, and less of it, the next few meals. He’s fine now. I did go to the vet who gave us metronidazole, but I didn’t give it to him and the issue resolved on its own.

#8 ·
I'm assuming you don't have pet insurance? Because if you "don't have the money to go to the vet again" then you can't afford insurance. Problems are only going to get more expensive. The first dog I had, I spent somewhere between 40K to 50K on him. Dogs aren't cheap. And if you can't afford another visit to the vet....

Anyway, I agree with @Sunflowers. She needs to fast for at least a day. She needs to empty her system and "dry" it out. On severe cases, my vet even suggests no water for 24 hours. And agree on the yogurt. You can also use a tablespoon of canned pure pumpkin. Pumpkin firms up poop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.