Worried about EPI - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

And thanks everyone else for the info....yeah I worry too much, and everything on the web suggested EPI was ilke super common in GSDs so I figured, it wouldn't be out of the question...and also I should never post on this forum after like 9pm when I'm tired and grumpy and not thinking straight. :-)

Last edited by banzai555; 10-21-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai555 View Post
She gets into the cat poop outside. My neighbor's horrible cat comes into my backyard and poops, and Willow's great at finding it. She snacks it up while I'm out there with her, before I can stop her. I'll try to be better about looking for it and picking it up. (I HATE outdoor cats. They also kill all kinds of native birds and leave them for me to find...don't get me started lol.)

She is left in a crate when I am gone for extended periods of time. I occasionally leave her loose in the house for short times, but have no evidence she is getting into any garbage (and usually all I have in there is like...coffee grounds lol. I hate cooking and I also hate smelly garbage cans.)

I am feeding her Canidae Grain Free Salmon, after researching dog foods on that dog food website that seems pretty reputable and gives them all star ratings (blanking on the name). I treat her with cut-up hot dogs VERY rarely, very small pieces, for her extra special treats (like when we're on walks and I'm trying to teach her to not react to people). Otherwise it's Zuke's training treats for the rest of her training, 1 Denta Stix per day, and usually 1 small rawhide chew per day (like...4 inches long and a cm thick, they're really small and she eats them in about 2 minutes). Also the occasional Milk Bone and my sister-in-law sent me some Trader Joe's pumpkin treats. And I put a few chunks of wet canned dog food (also Grain Free but whatever brand is on sale) into her Kong when I leave for work. I am pretty good at avoiding giving her ANY table scraps. So...a pretty wide variety but I try to keep her calories from treats down to a minimum.
Looks ok. I don't know what everyone else thinks of Canidae. Back around 12 years ago, many people liked Canidae. I don't know now. The only thing I see is a small cause for concern is the rawhide. I heard years ago that rawhide isn't good for dogs, but again, I'm not sure about it. Some of the other members in here will affirm or correct me on that.

I'm still thinking it could be the cat poop. There might be worms or other things. Please keep us updated on your dog's situation.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Well...her poop this evening was a TINY bit firmer than it has been, but now it has orange streaks in it?? could be because of the chicken/rice diet? No idea.

Thinking I should call the vet tomorrow, esp if she still has diarrhea in the morning....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 PM
Master Member

Could she be passing some of the Trader Joe pumpkin treats, that have orange coloring in them?

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Around here, we have a virus going around. I groom dogs, and I've had several dogs cancel in the last few weeks because of this tummy virus. They only have diarrhea. Really no other symptoms that they've told me about. It could be as simple as that.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Around here, we have a virus going around. I groom dogs, and I've had several dogs cancel in the last few weeks because of this tummy virus. They only have diarrhea. Really no other symptoms that they've told me about. It could be as simple as that.
Hope so. She seems perfectly normal otherwise, good appetite, no barfing, energy levels normal. She seems slightly more restless than normal but like...in a happy way? Like she's hungry, maybe.

She's had the diarrhea since early Sunday morning so yeah, coming up on 48 hours here.

I bought some pumpkin puree so we'll see if that helps. At least then if her poo is orange it'll be normal I guess. Also I only gave her one Trader Joe's treat and yeah it was before the orange poo so maybe that's it, but it was like...a lot of orange and the treat wasn't very big....

Another thing she does is eats grass. Like a FRIGGIN HORSE. I swear, I have to tug her along on walks because she wants to stop and just eat grass. She eats grass in the backyard too. She's done this ever since I got her.

Hopefully this'll go away soon. Hard to crate her for long periods of time with diarrhea worry....luckily yeah it hasn't been super frequent (she seems to be actually pooping with the same frequency as usual), just gross.

Hi, I'm Banzai and I look at dog poop.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:22 AM
Elite Member

She sure does get a wide variety. That may or may not be the problem. The breed is known to have sensitive tummy's. She may have a sensitivity to an ingredient in her food, canned food, treats. It may be hard to figure out if that's the case. I'd just watch and see.
The only thing that caught my eye was the raw hide chews. I would ditch those. Even small ones can cause intestinal blockages that could end with a needed surgery. Raw hide is famous for being swallowed in chunky pieces. Raw hide swells in the stomach and intestinal tract making them hard to digest and pass. Some dogs can eat them for a lifetime with no issues. Others can seem fine with them until one day you are in the vets office faced with a life and death surgery to remove a blockage. I just don't think they are worth the risk. Much safer alternative in my opinion is a bully stick.

I hope Willow is feeling better soon.
tc68 likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 AM
Elite Member

"Hi, I'm Banzai and I look at dog poop."

You will be happy to know that enough of us do ^this that the forum has a emoji

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Master Member

Oh yea, another poop looker here!
I am so happy when the poop is the kind you just pick up and there's not even a trace - perfect firm warm poop!

Eating Grass = upset tummy? Something is upsetting her tummy?
Rumo will do this - I just let him eat - he likes to eat the long grasses especially - eventually he gags and throws up a wad of tangled grass plus whatever was in his stomach.
Afterwards he feels much better and goes back to his normal sniffing/trotting self.
He eats grass very rarely (maybe 3-5x in the entire time we've had him), so to me personally, constantly or daily grazing on grass seems unusual.

** weird little sidenote: I was up late one night on the internet, it said that in that year, the two most Googled questions were: "Why do dogs eat grass" and the other one question was "How do I know I am in love" :-) **

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 10-22-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page