Chronic ear issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Chronic ear issue

Hey guys. Any great minds have great suggestions. My poor dog has had a lingering ear thing for over a month now. I want to say closer to 2. She has been checked by the vet probably four or five times already, lost count on that as well.

We are now trying our fifth treatment. A few weeks back we sent out for a culture and sensitivity to try and find out what it is and what would treat it. It came back "no growth", which one of thw vets said meant it was probably yeast but the other vet said he thought they should have gotten a yeast growth result.

She has been treated with Tri Otic 2x a day for 7 days once and for 14 days the second time. Not resolved.

She got something put in at the vet that I can't remember the name and was supposed to stay in there a month. It was totally ineffective and her ear was super nasty immediately and the vet said it was weird he couldn't even see the treatment in there anymore.

I quit everything and did a week of Zymox. Nada.

Back to vet. This time Osurnia. She had her first tx a week ago. I was told to leave it completely alone for a week then clean well and retreat with Osurnia. I cleaned it this morning for re-tx. It is nasty and once I get all what appears to be dried blood out there is still pink blood/clots in there. Same as it has been for WEEKS.

I am going to do this 2nd Osurnia tx but I don't have really high hopes.

I saved what I cleaned out of her ear this morning in case I should re culture.

Getting really frustrated. It doesn't seem to bother her that much, it just looks disgusting. It doesn't even really smell bad. I've never had an ear even remotely this bad....

Q tip the last of what came out this morning.

Tuesday this week vet looked in there and said yes lots of gunk but the actual ear canal does not look that bad. Other times he has looked in there and said "this is very inflamed". I am at a loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191018_083511_1571403508201.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	526369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_185939_1571403578850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	526371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_185920_1571403688768.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	526373  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Master Member

I have a home made recipe that I'll have to find that has always worked well. It is a combination of rubbing alcohol, boric acid powder and something else. I mix it and put it in one of the bottles ear medicine from the vet comes in. The liquid medicines at the vet are expensive. This mixture is cheap, so you can flood the ear with it and massage the ear a littler while keeping your dog from shaking it out. Do this outside. After about ten seconds of massaging the filled ear canal, let you dog shake the mixture out. She will not like this at first, but if it helps, she will get used to it. After she shakes the mixture out, use a large wad of cotton and clean the ear out as well as you can without irritating it. Try to clean deep inside the ear. Because this is so inexpensive, you can use large amounts several times a day, which is more likely to help. From the photos, it looks like a significant problem.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I have a home made recipe that I'll have to find that has always worked well. It is a combination of rubbing alcohol, boric acid powder and something else. I mix it and put it in one of the bottles ear medicine from the vet comes in. The liquid medicines at the vet are expensive. This mixture is cheap, so you can flood the ear with it and massage the ear a littler while keeping your dog from shaking it out. Do this outside. After about ten seconds of massaging the filled ear canal, let you dog shake the mixture out. She will not like this at first, but if it helps, she will get used to it. After she shakes the mixture out, use a large wad of cotton and clean the ear out as well as you can without irritating it. Try to clean deep inside the ear. Because this is so inexpensive, you can use large amounts several times a day, which is more likely to help. From the photos, it looks like a significant problem.
It's definitely not good! I've been strictly following vet's orders the whole time to no avail. The only time I wasn't was the week I decided to try Zymox.

The vet said they had 2 more things we haven't tried: a stronger yeast tx and a Baytril ear drop. But if it was no growth bacteria seems like the Baytril will do nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

I use coconut oil. slightly softened, melts as you rub. start at the opening of the canal, it sooths, softens. It emulsifies the gunk and doesn't hurt. Soaks in nicely with less mess.
There are plenty of ear oils on the market too, but they use olive or almond oils. you can infuse garlic into an oil and use that too.
Before anyone thinks that no you can't use oil...
Some scripted use mineral oil which is a petroleum product.
huntergreen likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Banned

If you join PVC (Pet Vet Corner) on Facebook, a vet will respond to your question. I tried when Seiran was getting sick and the vet couldn’t find the cause. I didn’t get any answers from the vets there, but a ton of people were asking about home treatments (including apple cider vinegar and coconut oil) and how effective they were, and all vets agreed that using both would exasperate the infection. You can request to join and see the posts yourself, or add your own question. The vets are really helpful if it’s something simple like reoccurring ear infections.

Crios always gets them in summer swimming months. If we flush his ears like Chip explained with a medicated flush from the vet, he wouldn’t get them, so we now flush his ear three times a day (Chip explained the process perfectly) and he hasn’t had another sense.

Now, it’s possible the vets say not to use coconut oil because it’s not been medically approved, but I just wouldn’t chance it with how bad that ear looks. I’ll post what we use if you’d like, both the treatment drops when he did get them, and the daily flush to prevent them.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Otomax I know is great for yeast - yeast is normally stinky and you said the results came back negative. Not sure if a deep ear flush would help they have to sedate the dog. It can be allergies causing Inflammation seasonal or food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Have you xrayed the dog? I'm wondering if there's something in there.

When conventional abx failed, we've always had really good luck culturing and then using Oti-Packs custom-created with the meds that the infection is susceptible to (the wax plugs that your vet tried leaving in the ear that continuously dispense meds for 3-4 weeks until they fall out). The fact that your culture failed, and all the meds failed is a little suspicious for something else going on.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Master Member

I am saying the trick is to totally fill the ear with whatever you use and message it and clean it well. The medicines the vet gives would only last for a couple of doses at the amount I am suggesting and they are expensive. A small dose is not likely to help those ears.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Have you xrayed the dog? I'm wondering if there's something in there.

When conventional abx failed, we've always had really good luck culturing and then using Oti-Packs custom-created with the meds that the infection is susceptible to (the wax plugs that your vet tried leaving in the ear that continuously dispense meds for 3-4 weeks until they fall out). The fact that your culture failed, and all the meds failed is a little suspicious for something else going on.
No but I will try anything at this point. I'll ask them about this next time she is seen which will probably be tomorrow.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

As for ear wash I use Epi Otic Adv. Which is what my vet sells a recommends. During the second tx of Tri Otic the instructions were to flush daily, and I do fill it totally up and then massage well before letting her shake. I flushed daily and treated with oitmnt 2x a day for 14 days without clearing this up. After which I let it sit for 72 hrs empty in order to try and get a decent sample to culture. Those were my vet's instructions.
@Magwart what would they be looking for on X ray? Foreign body or like what are you thinking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page