Weak hind quarters - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Weak hind quarters

Hi all. I am very concerned about Deja, my strong girl. Her hind quarters are rapidly weakening over the last week. l contributed it to maybe a misstep at first and was observing her. She can now barely me it over 3 ft jump, lies down most of the time and wobbles like a badly built GSD. Of course it is now Friday evening when things look worse. Anything coming to mind before I have to take her to the ER vet? She is 6 six years old, intact and normally strong as a horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Knighted Member

My first thought would be a tick-related paralysis. My next thought would be to get her spine x-rayed, if no ticks were found.

If that still didn't show a cause, I'd do bloodwork and look for things like anemia that would cause generalized weakness.

Edit: I avoid emergency vets for anything short of a life-threatening emergency, or wounds that need immediate treatment (stitches).
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-12-2019 at 02:44 AM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member

My initial go to is always a trial period of crate rest. If things get worse, then it's vet time. If things stay the same after a few days, I monitor for a few more. If it still doesn't start to improve, vet time. I have yet to have to take a dog to a vet for a joint injury using this protocol.
Muskeg likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She has almost all the symptoms of early DM. It doesn't look good. Will consult the vet next week.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

It sounds like it could be dm my neighbors dog had that and just remember never see anything like it. I would imagine a tick panel would be done but sometimes more then one thing going on so X-ray would be important to do. My male gsd has developed arthritis at 8 years of age but it was more stiffness then anything then progressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Take her temp. Mine has had wobbling and weakness sudden onset twice with a fever that went away with the fever. It still needs vet tx
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

Nothing here advice wise, just lots and lots of healing thoughts to you and Deja. Hope she pulls through for you, it’s so hard when you watch them go downhill and don’t know why.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Knighted Member

Don't assume it's DM. I've had 2 German shepherds that gradually lost control of their hind ends. In both cases, it was related to the spine. One had ankylosing spondylitis (vertebrae actually fused together!) and the other likely had lumbar stenosis due to arthritis. If your dog is active, it could also be a ruptured disc.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

Dont jump to DM just yet. Tick, spine, Iliocostalis muscle injury..so many causes of stuff like this. DM is usually gradual. Starts with toe dragging. It *usually* isn't a one week onset to lame type thing.

Please keep us posted <3
Nigel, Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

How have her gums looked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page