German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Hip Replacement Rehab Setup (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/757631-hip-replacement-rehab-setup.html)

Moonshayde 09-10-2019 12:06 PM

Hip Replacement Rehab Setup

Hi Guys,

I have my 11 month old going in for a full hip replacement in 2 weeks.

I am trying to decide what sort of room setup would be good and what bedding to use. What have you guys done for your surgeries?

I have a small house and am thinking of baby gating the living room for us to both live in for the recovery as it is carpeted. I can place the crate in there.

Regarding bedding I am unsure. I was thinking of putting a low mattress on the floor for me to sleep on as he is used to sleeping in my bed with me. Or will I need to crate him at night immediately after surgery? He has never been crated at night. The room is pretty small, smaller than my bedroom even so maybe un-crated is fine...

For him he has a X Large Kuranda bed that fills his crate, but I am worried about the small height on it and unsteady footing when on. Thoughts on this? Should I buy some soft low foam bedding? I previously banished those due to him EATING it, but I am going to be home with him for the first 2 weeks after surgery.

Last question is about stairs. Of course I will be discussing with my surgeon but I have 3 steep steps to my back garden. It is old linoleum. I am thinking towel/sling but it sure has me worried.

I am really freaking out as this gets closer. Is this the right decision? Can I keep him calm? (really worried about this one, he has no off switch right now and it's a struggle we are working on) What if this makes things worse? He does not show pain at all and has gotten so much stronger in the last few months but he lies down during fetch and I occasionally still feel his hip pop/grind. But what if I totally stuff him up? What if he becomes even more scared of stuff and I loose my goofy, adorable, happy playful puppy?

While you guys can't help me with my doubts and decision I am hoping you have some opinions on the bedding lol :D

JonRob 09-10-2019 03:12 PM

If you have a good surgeon and the surgery goes well, a total hip replacement will be the best thing you ever do for your dog. Where are you having the surgery done?

We've had 8 total hip replacements done in dogs over the years. Only one got screwed up, and we never should have taken the dog to that surgeon, as we learned afterward.

A carpeted small room for aftercare would be ideal. No bedding at all, especially a Kuranda bed. A fall or slip when dealing with any kind of bed could be a disaster. And yes, you should sleep on the floor next to him since he is used to sleeping in your bed with you. But no low mattress for you because he may slip climbing on or off it. Sorry. You may need orthopedic surgery after this.

Good luck, and please let us know how the surgery goes!

Moonshayde 09-10-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonRob (Post 9192417)
If you have a good surgeon and the surgery goes well, a total hip replacement will be the best thing you ever do for your dog. Where are you having the surgery done?

We've had 8 total hip replacements done in dogs over the years. Only one got screwed up, and we never should have taken the dog to that surgeon, as we learned afterward.

A carpeted small room for aftercare would be ideal. No bedding at all, especially a Kuranda bed. A fall or slip when dealing with any kind of bed could be a disaster. And yes, you should sleep on the floor next to him since he is used to sleeping in your bed with you. But no low mattress for you because he may slip climbing on or off it. Sorry. You may need orthopedic surgery after this.

Good luck, and please let us know how the surgery goes!

Hi JonRob,

Thanks for your feedback. I am in Michigan Detroit and on a few recommendations am having it done at the Animal Surgical Center of Michigan. I was referred to the surgeon by our vet who we really respect.

I am still unsure about no bedding at all. No Kuranda bed makes sense due to it's surface and footing, but I would imagine low soft bedding would be better than none in the hard crate. I will see what sort of bed I can find for us both on the floor lol...I would sleep on the couch but am worried he tried to jump up so am going to banish couches haha.

JonRob 09-10-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonshayde (Post 9192425)
I would imagine low soft bedding would be better than none in the hard crate.

I wasn't clear--a hard crate would not be good. He should be on a carpet in a small room. To save your back and joints, you might consider a very thin (1 inch thick) double-size foam mattress pad with a nylon cover on the carpet. Stay away from inflatables--they have very unsteady footing. And definitely no couches! You may suffer more than he does . . .

Springbrz 09-10-2019 09:24 PM

I have no experience with hip replacement but do have experience with seriously arthritic senior dogs. For your 3 steps to the yard I would invest in a telescoping pet ramp with a nonskid surface. Get it now and teach your boy to use it now. walking slowly up and down an easy sloped ramp will likely be much easier on him than trying to sling him up and down stairs. Check with your surgeon first though just to be sure.
There are several members that have gone through hip replacement and FHO recovery and rehab. Hopefully some with chime in and share how they handled recovery and sleep accommodations.

Sunflowers 09-12-2019 02:41 PM

Why do you have to do hip replacement at 11 months?

Unless the dog were in so much pain that I would be considering euthanizing or hip replacement, I wouldn’t do the surgery.

Jax08 09-12-2019 02:46 PM

What does your surgeon say? They will give you pretty strict instructions. Call and ask them about the steps.

My suggestion is to get him crate trained now because he will have to be crated and contained while he heals.

My co-worker just had this done and bought a large crate for temporary use. When my dog had her acl done, I bought a 48" crate. I could lay in there with her.

Moonshayde 09-12-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 9193099)

Unless the dog were in so much pain that I would be considering euthanizing or hip replacement, I wouldn’t do the surgery.

SunFlowers,

His hip pops and grinds when he moves and sits. This has improved as he gained more muscle but it's still there. He lies down a lot during fetch and drags himself when he rises. Looking at him you would think nothing is wrong but I don't want him living a life of pain if I can fix it. He is an active dog and I got him to hike with.

The orthopedic surgeon said it was not likely to get better and he will need the surgery in his lifetime so I should do it while he is young because young dogs heal very quickly. However he said I can wait too, he was not being pushy. This makes sense to me but there is also a part of me freaking out that this could be a very bad mistake. It has been months of agonizing over this and to be honest I just want him to be happy and pain free and if I can give him that , I will.

Moonshayde 09-12-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 9193101)
What does your surgeon say? They will give you pretty strict instructions. Call and ask them about the steps.

My suggestion is to get him crate trained now because he will have to be crated and contained while he heals.

My co-worker just had this done and bought a large crate for temporary use. When my dog had her acl done, I bought a 48" crate. I could lay in there with her.

Hi Jax08, I will be discussing this in more detail with my surgeon for sure. I read through their protocol on the site and they just mention the restricted activity time frames and checkup follow ups.

He is already crate trained and is in 4- 5 hours at a time while I work so he likes it fine and it won't be anything new to him. I actually have the 57" crate as he outgrew his 42" lol. and to be honest he fills it! Lots of room over his head though so he can stand. He is a very very big dog.

JonRob 09-12-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 9193099)

Moonshayde (love that username BTW), just about any time someone posts here asking for helpful advice about postoperative care, someone pops up and instead of giving any helpful advice they start shrieking that the dog shouldn't have the surgery--as if they knew more about your dog than you or your vet know. So don't take that stuff personally or seriously. It's just a thing some posters do and really has nothing to do with you. You don't need to justify your choices for your dog to critics like this.

I think your vet gave you excellent advice and you are an awesome person for spending so much money (these things aren't cheap) to give your dog a much better quality of life. I wish there were more dog owners like you.