On again off again stomach issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

On again off again stomach issues

Shepherd friends and dog people:

I just don't know what to do about Bear, my 5 year old GSD.

For the past few weeks he wakes me up in the early morning hours, around 3AM with a bad belly. Wants to go outside and eat grass. Sometimes he throws it up not very at all often. His stomach is gurgling and churning. IF, I manage to get him to eat something, the gurgling goes away and he feels better right away. Last time he had watery bloody stools; one time only. Next day they were normal and have been so far.

All fecal and blood work comes back normal including pancreatic tests.
These symptoms don't last long either. He's usually eating by mid-day/evening. He still wants to go for 'the daily walk.' He's not lethargic. Wags his tail, drinks water. His stomach is not bloated. He doesn't give any signs of pain in his stomach.

I have been going to the VET and we text almost daily about him. We have tried a sucralfate. Seemed to work but came back. Now we are trying omeprazole. Again, seemed to be working until this morning. I feed Orijen 6 fish. He has allergies to all things with feathers, sweet potatoes. I should also note that I have feeding him a small raw snack(Stella and Chewy) in-between meals and before bed at suggestion of VET.

I keep wondering if this is just Shepherd's nervous tummy... We've had our puppy Maisie since April, but lately she's been a little snotty brat lately. I ha-ha) To both my other dog Remmy and Bear. Teenage doggo? And I correct her behavior it every time I see it. Ive even started kenneling her when I take a shower etc because I can't monitor her.

Also, my husband just left for a business trip yesterday morning, and sure enough, 3AM ish today, bad belly.

Next step is an ultra sound.

Oh, and Bear has gotten this same bad belly before but every 5 months maybe. And its short lived. This time it seems to be every week for about 3 weeks now.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 PM

just giving this a bump

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

2 things you can try:

*Feed kibble instead of raw before bed.

*Slippery Elm “It is a soothing nutritive herb which is perfectly suited for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane lining of the digestive system. The bark contains mucilage and tannins that act as demulcent (relieves irritation), emollient (calmative), protectant, and astringent. You might think of it as a soothing internal bandage coating the digestive tract for its entire length.” Dr Yasson https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Try 2 capsules one hour before bedtime snack.

If no results, give him the dose (either capsule or powder) when retiring for the night.

If plain Slippery Elm Powder is used: = 1/4th teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, given 1 hour before meals. You may mix with a small amount of plain canned pumpkin or chicken broth, or plain, non sweetened yogurt or keefer. https://www.amazon.com/Sustainably-S...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

How long did you do sucralfate? 3x a day? 2 hr before and after meals?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Try some turmeric powder. It has helped my dog a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page