A couple questions regarding my 7 mos old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys am inquiring bout a few concerns about my pup I've found recently

So the first is a change in appetite... He was always a very hungry pup Ate food very well no issues with feeding at all but recently maybe 3-4 days he seems to not have an appetite... Actually its more like he wants food(he comes at usual time near the kitchen asking for his meal) but when we give it he doesn't want to eat or eats veryy slowly and a less amount..
Also we have noticed he seems to cough while eating as if its hard to swallow or something has got stuck... (Sorry I don't know how to explain it properly in English) I also noticed a slight fever on him so perhaps that's what causing the appetite change?
In any case we give his meal on a small table to assist his neck but is this symptoms of some serious illness...?

My second concern is a slight limp in his front paw... He's a very active pup he runs and jumps around no matter how hard we try to stop him but usually if he slips or anything he'll limp a bit and it'll be fine again but this limp has been there for a couple days... Its not pronounced He's not in pain either just a slight limp...

Also I will be visiting the Vet in 2-3 days so I won't use advice here to substitute for professional treatment It just doesn't seem to be an emergency cause he is still eating and being active but there is a slight change in behaviour

I am just wondering if these are symptoms of a serious GSD illness they are prone to... Thxx in advance 🙂

Last edited by Sithumya17; 09-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Master Member

Dogs (and puppies) rarely show pain. It’s instinct to try to mask it because they would be either killed or abandoned in the wild for illness, disease, distress. A good sign that he is in fact in pain is the loss of appetite. . He could have fractured something, causing the limp. Is he holding his paw up frequently? The pain could also be a sign of something else, like kennel cough or viral/respiratory issue. Has he been fully vaccinated? Perhaps a case of Pano? Just throwing options out there.

As for the food, if they are very small pieces of kibble, they sometimes inhale them instead of chewing like they do the rest. Seiran is on a large breed formula, but the pieces are tiny, and she does the accidental inhale every once in a while. She hacks it back out and continues eating.

Are you relying on touch for a fever? Dogs temps run higher than humans, and often feel feverish if you’re comparing it to a humans fever.

Good luck, let the vet know everything you’ve posted here, and let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Elite Member

Make sure you vet is aware of mega esophagus in the breed. Please do not panic and think it is that! BUT it is important to be thorough and not all vets are familiar with GSDs and some of their more prevalent conditions.

As for the front leg, he is prime age for Pano. Very common in the breed and it does pass. Best to have vet check for injury of course, but if it is common pano it will resolve. Is it transient from leg to leg, or always same leg?

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
Dogs (and puppies) rarely show pain. It’s instinct to try to mask it because they would be either killed or abandoned in the wild for illness, disease, distress. A good sign that he is in fact in pain is the loss of appetite. . He could have fractured something, causing the limp. Is he holding his paw up frequently? The pain could also be a sign of something else, like kennel cough or viral/respiratory issue. Has he been fully vaccinated? Perhaps a case of Pano? Just throwing options out there.

As for the food, if they are very small pieces of kibble, they sometimes inhale them instead of chewing like they do the rest. Seiran is on a large breed formula, but the pieces are tiny, and she does the accidental inhale every once in a while. She hacks it back out and continues eating.

Are you relying on touch for a fever? Dogs temps run higher than humans, and often feel feverish if you’re comparing it to a humans fever.

Good luck, let the vet know everything you’ve posted here, and let us know how it goes.
Hi thx for the reply 🙂
He isn't holding up his paw but it is slightly visible when he is walking or running... In fact it looks as if he stumbles a bit... He is fully vaccinated but I will admit I am not aware of symptoms of the serious GSD illnesses I did research online so I believe Pano is likely?? I just wish to know cause am afraid of the Vet brushing it off as something simple when it could be something serious...I will look into the other diseases u mentioned and inquire from the Vet

As for the food so far he had been eating well with no issue but the coughing /hacking started recently so am not sure if its cause he's feeling unwell or something else...

As for the fever Yes initially (when he was younger) I assumed it was fever by comparing to us but am pretty sure he's actually running a fever this time His tounge feels hot and he pants a lot after even small play

I will update the thread with his condition I pray its not something serious I cant bare to see another dog especially one so young suffer...
He was actually looking and behaving better than yesterday We gave him food in small amnts and he ate well He didn't feel so hot either The limp was still slightly visible I will wait another day and take him to the Vet soon
Thx again 🙂
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Make sure you vet is aware of mega esophagus in the breed. Please do not panic and think it is that! BUT it is important to be thorough and not all vets are familiar with GSDs and some of their more prevalent conditions.

As for the front leg, he is prime age for Pano. Very common in the breed and it does pass. Best to have vet check for injury of course, but if it is common pano it will resolve. Is it transient from leg to leg, or always same leg?
Yes that's what am afraid of it being a serious gsd illness like those... I am aware they are at the prone age to it so if that's the case I really hope the Vet catches on quickly and treats my pup 😞
What kind of tests would I need to do for those?
The leg... I believe its the front left paw showing weakness but the thing is earlier he used to limp slightly from other paws too wenever he had a 'accident' as mentioned above (Ofc these are not frequent but am not sure if it might be Pano or just a sprain in the paw)
In any case I will do more research and make aware the Vet thx 🙂
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Master Member

I believe you need x-rays to confirm a Pano diagnosis

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Elite Member

I know 2 dogs with Mega E that lead normal lives, they have it mild. Your pup probably doesn't have it! But,with the coughing, and if eating elevated relieves it, it is worth discussing with your vet when you go in two day. I honestly am not sure about tests.. see if your vet says it is worth checking for. Is he consistently coughing when he eats? Any vomiting?

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
I believe you need x-rays to confirm a Pano diagnosis
You donít. It doesnít even show up on X-rays until the dog has had it for a while. Squeeze the long bone. If the dog groans, it could be pano. If it ends in one leg and moves to another, it could be pano. Xrays are not usually necessary.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
You don’t. It doesn’t even show up on X-rays until the dog has had it for a while. Squeeze the long bone. If the dog groans, it could be pano. If it ends in one leg and moves to another, it could be pano. Xrays are not usually necessary.
X-Rays are how we found out Rollo had it a while back. But I guess there are multiple ways

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|

Last edited by Chuck94!; 09-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
X-Rays are how we found out Rollo had it a while back. But I guess there are multiple ways
Yes, but was it absolutely necessary? I spent a lot I didnít need to spend on X-rays. My first vet diagnosed pano based on a physical exam. We switched vets and the limping was worse, so the new vet insisted on X-ays and came back with the same diagnosis, not based on xrays because he was so young there werenít a lot of markings but based on a visual and physical exam. A vet who has seen enough pano can tell without an X-ray.
Chuck94! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page