• 1 Post By Dunkirk
  • 1 Post By Pawsed
  • 1 Post By Heidigsd
  • 1 Post By Dunkirk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Perianal Fistulas :(

So, like we don't have enough to deal with, I am pretty sure Nikki has Perianal Fistulas

Her Dermatologist at Texas A&M had a suspicion that's what we may be dealing with years ago but now they have finally broken through the skin.

Anyway, I am making her an appointment at A&M tomorrow but I'm pretty sure our treatment options are limited to topical meds due to her other issues.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any new treatments with stem cells or any clinical trials for PF that are ongoing? Right now I can't stop crying and can't think straight. Appreciate any help.

I found this but not much else on stem cell treatments. https://www.dogmagazine.net/a-dog-ve...-be-treatable/

I have started pain meds and Protopic ointment until she can be seen at A&M.

After Heidi and now this I know one thing for sure, I don't want another dog, this is just heartbreaking

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

The Honest Kitchen Preference base-mix, whatever protein she can handle, plus Glandex (if she tolerates beef--it contains beef liver for flavor). THK is really good for lots of allergy dogs -- you can lightly cook whatever meat she can handle (it doesn't have to be fed raw). If you can turn off the inflammation, the anal glands may start self-regulating again, and then you may see the PFs go away -- healing rather than treating symptoms.

This got my allergy dog off of ALL meds, and we haven't had an anal gland or PF issue in years (after lots of rounds of abx before). It's one of those moments of "vet medicine has nothing else, so what have I got to lose" that turned into "I've got a healthy, happy dog." He no longer experiences any pain pooping, or even during rectal exams because all the inflammation is gone on this diet.
Heidigsd likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nikki had her anal glands removed years ago. I wish she would eat THK, tried in the past and she refused. She's on Royal Canin Duck & Potato canned right now and I can barely get her to eat that. Finding a food for Nikki has been a nightmare, I think it's related to her enzymes she has to take for her EPI.

I don't think she can have beef (will ask the Dermatologist at A&M) but maybe Buffalo?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

You could discuss if a faecal transplant would be a viable treatment option. Does your dog like turkey?

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/he...ants-for-dogs/

My dog is currently on Cyclosporine, it successfully treated anal fistulas.
Heidigsd likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM

So sorry you are going through this with your dog. Our older dog has also recently had this problem come up.

We had some success with prednisone used with tacrolimus ointment. We thought we had it solved with that treatment, but after a few weeks the fistula came back.

I hope you find some solution. If you do, please post them for us all to learn from.
Heidigsd likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
You could discuss if a faecal transplant would be a viable treatment option. Does your dog like turkey?

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/he...ants-for-dogs/

My dog is currently on Cyclosporine, it successfully treated anal fistulas.

Nikki likes turkey but it didn't agree with her last time we tried it. So sorry to hear that your dog also has PF's, what a cruel condition. I'm glad the treatment is working for you.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
So sorry you are going through this with your dog. Our older dog has also recently had this problem come up.

We had some success with prednisone used with tacrolimus ointment. We thought we had it solved with that treatment, but after a few weeks the fistula came back.

I hope you find some solution. If you do, please post them for us all to learn from.

So we just got back from seeing her regular vet. They shaved/cleaned the area and the good news is that we caught it early. Nikki goes to Texas A&M for her health issues (EPI, Atopy) so they put in a call to her vet there to see what they want us to do. Maybe we can avoid the six hour round-trip for now.

They gave us some Chlorhexidine wash & wipes to keep it clean and for now we are going to apply the Protopic ointment once a day. She didn't want to use steroids on her due the other meds Nikki is on.

I will keep you posted on what Dermatology at Texas A&M suggests, we should hear from them by tomorrow. I hope you get your dogs PF's cleared up soon, it's really sad to see them go through this
Pawsed likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Elite Member

When Nitro had fistulas I would make up some a warm epsom salts solution. I folded together 2 paper towels, wrapped them in a soft tissue, soaked the pad in the epsom salt solution, and placed it in position under his tail. I think it helped him feel better, he was never resistant and was very cooperative to this treatment. It had a drawing effect, helping with drainage of the fistulas.
Heidigsd likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Texas A&M is adding a steroid suspension to her treatment.

So for the next two weeks we are cleaning the area twice a day with Chlorhexidine solution before applying her ointments.

Morning: MotaZol CatHeader

Evening: Tacrolimus ointment

I also asked her vet to ask Texas A&M if they know of any clinical trials going on that involve stem cells.

post #10 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
I was wondering if anyone here knows of any new treatments with stem cells or any clinical trials for PF that are ongoing?
Tufts has done some very promising work with this:

http://www.trurodaily.com/living/win...issues-163955/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26387424

It might be worth calling one of the authors at Tufts to see if they know any vets in your area that do this. However, the tacrolimus topical and oral cyclosporine are often very effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page