German Shepherds Forum banner

Deadly Blue-Green Algae

767 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kyrielle 
#1 ·
August and September is a great time to take your dog hiking in nature and go to their favorite swimming hole to cool off and chase a few sticks in the water.

It is also the time when Blue-Green Algae is in full bloom as scientists and health board describe it.

Industrial and agricultural runoff and low rainfall in August and September increase the development of Blue-Green Algae in rivers, ponds and lakes, even in cottage country.

This stuff is VERY deadly to our furry friends, an infested dogs can succumb to the effects in as little as 4-24 hours depending on age, health and exposer levels because the liver and kidneys shut down.

I never heard of this until this week, I googled and did a little research to find a small but alarming number of dogs that are no longer with us because of Blue-Green Algae exposure.

Still bodies of water like ponds or water held back by dams or breakwaters will be obvious to see the ugly looking foam on and near the surface of the water, rivers and beaches that have moving water may be harder to spot.

Please do some research of your own, especially if you plan on travelling to new areas this summer.

I can't image losing any of my beautiful dogs this way.

Here is a brief article to get you started...
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/blue-green-algae-and-its-dangers-dogs

See less See more
#2 ·
this has been in the media more this year. There are also other bacteria, like Red Tide and the flesh eating bacteria that become more of an issue late in summer. When I lived by a beach I often checked a site that posted updated water quality for the region.

#5 ·
Yep. Had no idea the stuff could be toxic. The bloom that occurred in the lake near me is gone per local water tests. Seems specific blooms only last a day or two.

There's one simple rule you can follow regarding bodies of water: If it looks/smells weird, don't go in it.

Follow your instincts. Your lizard/mammal/ape brain knows what water is supposed to look like. When it doesn't, you get a warning in your head. A tiny, quiet one, but a warning nonetheless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.