German Shepherds Forum banner

Non-Solid Stool

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  plottwistt 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have had my puppy for little over a month now, shes about 4 months and 1 week old, shes about 35-37 pounds now, she was being fed pedigree from the breeder but i changed her to Acana. She has not had a solid stool for about 2 weeksish, I took her to the vet about a week and half ago with a feces sample and they came back negative, she told me she might have allergies so she gave me Hills sciene diet wet food and the poo became solid, I'm not a fan of the brand so I've switched her from Acana to Fromm Gold large breed & the stool is still not solid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The stool is wet, sometimes solid brown sometimes light brown. No mucus or blood in it.

#5 ·
Fromm is 4%. Did you do a slow mixing of whatever food she was on, or did you just switch right over? If you went too quickly from one food to the other, you’re going to get loose stools on most dogs.

I feed Fromm, and quickly learned that overfeeding, even at one meal, makes my pups go from firm stools to soft stools, and if they are being overfed on a frequent basis, it goes from soft to watery diarrhea. It’s literally 1/3 to 1/2 cup too much in a day that will cause drool issues.

Try feeding a little less than what you are feeding now, and see if that doesn’t clear up the diarrhea. You can also do multiple smaller meals throughout the day and see if that helps as well.

Some pups do great on Fromm, some don’t. It could be a trial and error for your pup. I would buy the smallest bag they have if you decide to switch to something else so you don’t have a bunch of half eaten bags of food.

A lot of dogs do well on TOTW, but it causes skin and bowel issues with two of mine, so we avoid it altogether. Everyone did amazing on Earthborne, but when we increased the number of dogs we had, we couldn’t keep up with the price. So we went back to Fromm. If you’re only feeding one dog, I’d give the Earthborne a try (after cutting back on the daily amount for a week to see if that stops the loose stools). It’s more expensive for a smaller bag (56 bucks for 28lbs), vs 51 for 33lbs. But they also eat less of the Earthborne because of the lack of waste from fillers. If that makes any sense.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi,
We basically ran out of Acana when we hit the 30/70 mark of swapping mark, her wet stool has solidified a bit with just fromm, I’ll give it another week for her stomach to get used to it and see how her stool looks like.

Edit: i feed her 3 times a day 1.25 cups each time every 5 hours, so pretty much 8am, 1pm, 6pm

#6 ·
Another suggestion: she COULD still have a parasite. Giardia is very hard to spot in a stool sample, and can't be eliminated with the usual worm medicines. Maybe you should get her tested again.

I feed Natural Balance Lamb and Rice, and my dogs have very dry stools that are easy to pick up. No digestive issues at all, unless they get into something they shouldn't!

#9 ·
I treated my last pup with similar issues with Panacur C for 5 days twice, two weeks apart. Giardia doesn't always show up on tests depending on where in the cycle it is but this regimen will treat it. I also give Kochi-Free which takes care of Coccidia. Those are the two common problems in pups with loose stools. Both can be purchased on Amazon. In addition, watch the fat and protein levels in your food. Some pups can't tolerate too high a fat or protein level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.