German Shepherds Forum banner

Nose and lip scabs, keeps licking off meds?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LRP 
#1 ·
Our 3y/o boy got skunked a couple days ago really bad; it must have been right in the face. I saw it happen and immediately grabbed him to put him on our wood deck while I went to call for my wife for help. When I came back to the patio deck he was aggressively pushing his face along the wood to relieve the irritation. He must have been really pushing hard because when I grabbed him his nose and lips were raw and bleeding.Got him de-skunked but now we're trying to heal his "road-rashed" face.

The wounds start to scab over but he's constantly licking them off and back to a bright pink color. We've been alternating between neosporin and penaten cream but he immediately licks everything off. Taking him for a walk to get him panting with his mouth open seemed to distract him from licking for a bit but only for a short while.

His appetite and mood are both normal so we were waiting to see if it would heal on its won before taking him to the vet

1.) Will these wounds scar?
2.) Is there something better I can put on it?
3.) What can I try to keep him for licking everything off?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I use this on all my dogs scrapes, sores ect… its all-natural so its fine if he licks it but it works better if it stays on obviously ;)
I use it on myself as well - it works really well and quick.

https://www.target.com/p/boiron-homeopathic-calendula-first-aid-cream-2-5oz/-/A-16836633

They sell it in a lot of stores, target, Walmart, CVS ect….

Also I wanted to add this is a lotion/cream vs. Neosporin is more greasy. It absorbs into the skin really quick. I have never used Penaten cream, but I am guessing its similar to that. There was a scar on my males inside thigh he got from trying to jump a barrier fence and this cleared it up in a day or 2.

The hair may not grow back all the way on the top of the nose based on what I see on the photos but I would think the front of his snout would recover well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.