Mush stool after Giardia treatment - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
chienchaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18
Mush stool after Giardia treatment

I adopted a 12 month old GSD 2 months ago and quickly changed him to RC GS puppy food as he was on an adult generic brand. He had no issues with stools which were formed.

3 weeks ago my 6 year old husky had sudden bouts of diarrhea and was tested positive for Giardia. The vet prescribed them both with Metronadizole and Panacur treatment. He was given 500mg twice a day for 7 days (which seems like a high dose to me), half way through the treatment he began having running pudding like stool. He finished the treatment 2 weeks ago and they have not been any better, 2 times a day, large loose amounts with gas during. Between bowel movements he doesn't have any noticeable gas. The vet recommended I switch to RC high energy digestible food which has not shown improvement in 5 days. I also have him on Flortiflora 2 times a day. Any thoughts?
chienchaud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
LuvShepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,194
Did they retest him?
LuvShepherds is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
chienchaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18
He was never initially tested. The vet decided to treat him because the other dog was positive. She tested him with Indexx on Friday and it was negative though
chienchaud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:37 AM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,352
Have you considered running the IDEXX Diarrhea PCR panel? It's twice the cost of just testing for giardia, but it tests for something like twelve things (of which giardia is just one). It can find obscure things your vet may not be thinking of.


Are you also keeping the environment clean so that he doesn't reinfect himself?
Magwart is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Crowned Member
 
Jenny720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,767
With the additional testing and thoroughly cleaning a bland diet of chicken and white rice or lean ground beef may help. Honest kitchen has perfect form to which is good after deworming.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jenny720 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Opsoclonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chienchaud View Post
Between bowel movements he doesn't have any noticeable gas. The vet recommended I switch to RC high energy digestible food which has not shown improvement in 5 days. I also have him on Flortiflora 2 times a day. Any thoughts?
The issue in treating a dog without testing is that if they are negative and you treat with antibiotics you are essentially disrupting the normal gut flora which could be a reason for the loose stools that you are seeing as well as the excessive gas.

In addition to the change in diet + the antibiotics it seems reasonable that your pup has some adjusting to do -and in this case it was without the aid of his physiological GI bacteria.

I would continue with the probiotics (Flortiflora) and a bland diet of chicken and rice as suggested here.

You may consider also adding a bulking agent (as per your vet's advisement) to his diet to help him along and slow the GI transit.
Opsoclonus is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
chienchaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Have you considered running the IDEXX Diarrhea PCR panel? It's twice the cost of just testing for giardia, but it tests for something like twelve things (of which giardia is just one). It can find obscure things your vet may not be thinking of.


Are you also keeping the environment clean so that he doesn't reinfect himself?
They didn't mention that test but I will ask about it.

Yes, I am trying my best to catch the stools before they fall but it comes out so quickly and its impossible to pick up after its hit the grass
chienchaud is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
chienchaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsoclonus View Post
The issue in treating a dog without testing is that if they are negative and you treat with antibiotics you are essentially disrupting the normal gut flora which could be a reason for the loose stools that you are seeing as well as the excessive gas.

In addition to the change in diet + the antibiotics it seems reasonable that your pup has some adjusting to do -and in this case it was without the aid of his physiological GI bacteria.

I would continue with the probiotics (Flortiflora) and a bland diet of chicken and rice as suggested here.

You may consider also adding a bulking agent (as per your vet's advisement) to his diet to help him along and slow the GI transit.

Should I feed the bland diet twice a day? How do I know how much to give?

What exactly is a bulking agent?
chienchaud is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Opsoclonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chienchaud View Post
Should I feed the bland diet twice a day? How do I know how much to give?

What exactly is a bulking agent?
You should replace the meals he/she is receiving with the "bland diet" (i.e., equal nutritional value/meal)

A bulking agent is a nonabsorbed medication which works by adsorbing bacteria and reducing the loss of water. Your veterinarian will have to prescribe this.

Some people use a "pumpkin patch" which is essentially an overdose of fiber to help solidify the stool.

Make sure your pup has access to and is drinking plenty of fluids!
Bone broth is an excellent source that is rich in electrolytes and nutrients your pup is losing.
Opsoclonus is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsoclonus View Post
You should replace the meals he/she is receiving with the "bland diet" (i.e., equal nutritional value/meal)

A bulking agent is a nonabsorbed medication which works by adsorbing bacteria and reducing the loss of water. Your veterinarian will have to prescribe this.

Some people use a "pumpkin patch" which is essentially an overdose of fiber to help solidify the stool.

Make sure your pup has access to and is drinking plenty of fluids!
Bone broth is an excellent source that is rich in electrolytes and nutrients your pup is losing.
To the OP...Yeah, I always keep a can of pumpkin in case of diarrhea. Works like a charm. You have to use 100% pumpkin....nothing else. Some canned pumpkin have other ingredients...don't use that. Only use about a heaping teaspoon of it each meal. I also add a teaspoon of plain non fat yogurt. My dog loves both and will eat both first before he gets to the food.
tc68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome