Need help with vomiting GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Need help with vomiting GSD

My shepherd Dara has been sick this past month with near daily episodes of vomiting. She had lost 10 pounds but recently gained half of that back. Over the past year or so she would have occasional episodes of throwing up that would last a couple weeks but then subside. I've tried several different dog foods including some of the best reviewed ones like nomnomnow and THK. I've tried every type of protein as well, chicken, beef, and fish. The vet thought it could be some food allergy so we changed her dog food to prescription Hills d/d. Again she got better for a couple months but this past month has been the worst yet. Near daily vomiting and loss of apatite. I've gotten her blood work done, all was normal besides some elevated white blood cell count. An ultrasound, all was normal there. And an endoscopy, her esophagus was incredibly swollen to the point where they couldn't get the camera fully into her stomach and it had ulcers on it. They took some biopsys and those just came back yesterday but there was no signs of diseases and just some inflammation. The vet has me giving her medication to get rid of the ulcers as well as a starting a temporary steroid to try and stabilize her and then possibly try another different dietary option to keep the inflammation down. The past 2 weeks I've just been making her home made food with chicken or beef and sweet potatoes since she won't eat the prescription food, which I don't blame her it doesn't seem very tasty. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with something like this? The vet has been unable to diagnose anything for sure. We thought maybe IBD but nothing from the ultrasound or biopsy lead to that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry you and Dara are dealing with this. I have no experience with these symptoms, but I wanted to bump your thread up the list. Hopefully others may see this and have some suggestions.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

Was Mega esophagus discussed/ruled out?

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I have not heard anything about that yet, I will look into it, thanks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like a LOT of changes of food in a month. It can take time to stabilize. I've had powerful antibiotics /sucralfate/ pepcid help get one of mine out of a tailspin where she was very sick with nausea and vomiting.

Eventually she was treated successfully with prednisone and budesonide and has been symptom free of that particular issue for a long time now.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Master Member

Are there other vets around that you could go to for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinions? I've found that not all vets know everything. Maybe it's something your vet has never seen, but the vet down the road may have. IMO, a good vet will know his/her limitations and encourage you to see another vet.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

My regular vet doesn't do endoscopes or ultrasounds so they did send me to another. The second vet did not know the cause either even after the endoscopy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I think I worded that bad. Over the past year I've tried different foods as she had those episodes of throwing up for a couple weeks at a time. Still a lot of food changes for sure but the vet thought it could have been a protein allergy at first so I had to try some other options. Prednisone is what they just prescribed me now to try so hopefully that gets her out of it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

We just had this discussion in another thread. @LuvShepherds, wasn't the suspect potatoes?
Most grain free options use potatoes as a filler and that seems to have created a whole new issue.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 06-19-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
We just had this discussion in another thread. @LuvShepherds, wasn't the suspect potatoes?
Most grain free options use potatoes as a filler and that seems to have created a whole new issue.
It wasn’t THE culprit but I decided to cut out potatoes and white fish due to possible inflammation. Whatever I did worked. If there is a question, stop feeding potatoes and see what happens.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page