Hemangiosarcoma - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hemangiosarcoma

I so appreciate the honesty and the helpful information I get from being on this forum. My daughter's eleven year old Old English Sheepdog, Rocky, was diagnosed this afternoon with Hemangiosarcoma. He was fine on Friday and very ill today.

I wanted to thank all the posters who have shared over the years about their experiences with this merciless disease. After we received the diagnosis, I was able to talk to my daughter in the car about what I had learned here on the forum about the condition and what to expect. I told her about the heartache I had read about on the forum and that she wasn't alone in feeling ambushed and guilty that her dog was so ill, so "suddenly."

We are taking Rocky, my dear "grandpuppy," in for the final goodbye at the vet tomorrow. I told her he is counting on her this one last time to be there for him and release him from his suffering.

I am letting my grief wash over me tonight as I want to be there for my daughter tomorrow. Rocky means the world to her. So many have lost their beloved GSDs to Hemangiosarcoma. Now I truly know the pain and shock of the diagnosis. My heart goes out to all of you who have been through this.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM

I am so very sorry. Iíve lost a dog to hemangiosarcoma, and it was terrible and also sudden. Your daughter is lucky to have you help her through this. Again, Iím so sorry about Rocky.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you.

And I have been following the saga of Carly with her eye and Scarlet's pants. (During crazy times we wonder why we have our dogs, but we certainly know that we can't live without them.)

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
Thank you.

And I have been following the saga of Carly with her eye and Scarlet's pants. (During crazy times we wonder why we have our dogs, but we certainly know that we can't live without them.)

My girls make me laugh, even when one is missing an eye, at the same time that the other one goes in heat! Such dumb timing.

The bad news is that we lose dogs that we love. The good news is they make our lives better while theyíre here. Itís a trade-off that I can live with. I lost my heart dog (Sage) 4 years ago next month. I really didnít think it was possible to have that connection with another dog ever again. I loved her SO much. But then Scarlet fell in my lap a year later. I like to joke that sheís a terrible dog (she kind of is), but she is exactly the dog I need. She was meant to be my dog. I love her like crazy. Who knew!?

Time will pass, and I hope you all will have another special dog. Thereís more than one to go around.
Clare, Sabis mom and Moriah like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 AM
Crowned Member

Evil, EVIL disease!

A year ago, our boy was catching frisbee's in the air at 8:00. By 11:00 we were saying good-bye.

SO devastating! SO incredibly shocking!

They have been loyal to each other for all these years. Now she is giving him they loyalty he deserves.

My heartfelt condolences to your daughter and you.
Moms
Moriah likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Elite Member

I am so sorry. As a mom, the strength you express for your daughter is immeasurable. As one to another, it is instinctive setting aside your own emotions so she has someone to fall back on.

Rocky will feel this strength also. Our beloved companions alway do.

My thoughts and prayers for a peaceful day for all of you.
Moriah likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Master Member

So very sorry....we lost our Cody to this in October last year so sudden and devastating.....my heart goes out to you and your daughter.....
Moriah likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss. Rocky is on to a next the next chapter that is very difficult for many to understand in this life.
Moriah likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

My experience gave me a bit longer. Stopped the initial bleed, did chemo & had 6 months until a second, unstoppable bleed. It's a horrid disease that seems to come out of nowhere. You and your daughter have my sympathy.
Moriah likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Knighted Member

My deepest sympathy to your daughter and everyone who knows and loves Rocky. I know this is an almost impossibly hard thing for your daughter to do, but it is absolutely the right thing to do.
Sheilah
Moriah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page