How to care for bedridden dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How to care for bedridden dog

My girl has vestibular disease. She has been 100% bedridden since last Friday.

Here are my biggest issues: she is determined to lay on her left side curled to theright becaude of her head tilt. Otherwise she feels like she is falling. The vet said to flip her but she fights me like crazy. Sometimes I can get her to dit straight up and get off that left hip for a minute but it isnt enough. I don't know what else to do about that.

She is just peeing the bed now. She is not clean. Last night it was bad enough we put her in the tub but she cannot stand at all so imagine trying to wash and dry a 65# shepherd who cannot stand or shake... it was a nightmare. This morning she was just slightly damp becauee I did a better job with pee pads and I am not trying to wash her but am concerned about her health laying on left side with urine dampness.

She hasnt even tried to poop since qll of this...heaven help us when she does. I carry her outside with a support harness and she will now try to stand on the grass. She can stand for a few seconds with help now outside. Inside ahe wont try because of slippery floors.

I am calling the clinic when they open but does anyone have any nursing advice... how to care for her better....keep her clean....to try to get her thru this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

A bit of good news...this morning I stretched her out, grabbed all 4 feet and flipped her like a pancake. She has been resting on her RIGHT side for an hour, this is the most full break from pressure her left side has had. I massaged her left side and I could tell she felt relieved...

Also her left side feels pretty dry to me so that's good. She may be damp inside her back legs but I'm leaving her be because if I mess with her she is going to start thrashing to try and get back on her left side.

I would never put her through this except the vets say chances are very good that she will recover, apparently they usually do, and she IS improving a slight bit each day. Not nearly as quickly as I had hoped though
dogma13 likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Here is my poor little patient...got her bed clean and dry and a pile of clean stuff ready to go next time she wets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_083056_1560169869841.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	522027  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

If she doesn't try to poop soon, you may try an anal suppository. You can get them from the drugstore - same ones they use on humans. Constipation can make an animal very very sick, so you need to get her to go.

Best wishes - sounds like you are doing a great job! My male had this twice, but he never lost the ability to stand up. We had to carry him up and down stairs so he could go out to pee and poop. His recovery took only about 5 or 6 days the first time, and was even faster the second time.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

Is she on Gabapentin? Was that one of the drugs they included in her regimen when you started thread about her constipation?
If so, taking her off it could help her improve faster.
Vestibular disease IS a side effect of Gaba.

While you have her outside, with help, try holding an ice cube on her rectum, this stimulates the sphincter to start moving
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Iíve had two dogs myself with vestibular disease (an IG and a GSD) and my best friendís old pug had it too. The iggy and the pug recovered just fine, though the old iggy had a bit of a tilt to one side after that. My girl Sage had a bout with it when she was pretty sick with discospondilitis She was on gabapentin at the time too, so there you go.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
If she doesn't try to poop soon, you may try an anal suppository. You can get them from the drugstore - same ones they use on humans. Constipation can make an animal very very sick, so you need to get her to go.

Best wishes - sounds like you are doing a great job! My male had this twice, but he never lost the ability to stand up. We had to carry him up and down stairs so he could go out to pee and poop. His recovery took only about 5 or 6 days the first time, and was even faster the second time.
Yes at this point it's been since Thursday last week that she pooped. I do have a pediatric enema that I bought for her constipation in case we needed it but Miralax worked.

Fri and Sat she did not really have anything at all go in because she vomited everything, but we finally got the vomiting under control with cerenia and another motion sickness drug I can't remember the name of right this second.

I've just left a message for the vet about how long since she has pooped and do I need to do something. It crossed my mind to just carry her out in the yard and give her the enema and clean her up out there....I don't know what to do. Will wait for vet to call me back.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Is she on Gabapentin? Was that one of the drugs they included in her regimen when you started thread about her constipation?

While you have her outside, with help, try holding an ice cube on her rectum, this stimulates the sphincter to start moving
Yes we tried Gabapentin but it had no appreciable result and we stopped it in less than a week. I am not 100% sure how long ago that was now prior to the onset of this, but she was not currently taking it when this started.

She was taking Budesonide, Miralax, and Proin. I have stopped everything but the Budesonide since she became bedridden.

Prior to the onset of this she had ahd a week where she was actually pooping on her own with no meds. Then she had begun to slow down so I had just begun to add a bit of Miralax to keep her going and then this happened.

Thursday morning she had one episode where she completely lost her equilibrium and vomited profusely. But she recovered in about an hour. I thought she had had a seizure. The next morning (Friday morning) it started over again. Same thing, tilting to left, falling, vomiting etc. She has not been back up since Friday morning.

But the eye movements have improved/lessened. Saturday she was completely unable to find her feet in space at all, and yesterday afternoon and today since I bought this better sling, she will try to stand on the grass if i support her and she can stand for a second while leaning on my legs which sadly is better than the day prior.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post

I could maybe try this tonight with my husband. Doesn't sound possible by myself, takes all I've got to keep her on her feet for a second...
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

Sorry you're going thru this but glad the vet is positive about her recovery.
About the pooping I had posted a few years ago about I helped clipper in his last days. I read about it on a site for paralyzed pets. He was on adiquin but had gotten where he couldn't squat to poop.
I would lay him on his side, put newspaper under him and have paper towels ready.
I knelt beside him with his legs facing me.
Wet an ice cube, hold the tail out of the way, and hold the ice cube against the anus.
It won't take but a few seconds and it will cause them to start pooping. Clipper never had diarrhea during this. As he pooped, I'd just move the paper or use the paper towels as needed. It was very clean, not getting anywhere. He would actually push his back feet against me to help push. it gave him immediate relief. I did it in the mornings and again later in the evening. You might try this, it helped clipper a lot.
You might try propping her head with a small pillow when you turn her on her side to help the head tilt. And clipper developed a pressure sore also, so have to watch out for that.
sebrench likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page