German Shepherds Forum banner

In Heat Female, Vulva Swelling

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
Hello,
My dog Ella just turned a year and went into heat last Sunday. With discharge and I think a swollen vulva and has been showing all the signs. But still acting normal playing and eating and getting into mischief.

We are making sure to keep her inside and only going out on leash. I looked at he vulva today and it looked strange. I attached some pics. Warning they are a little gross. Thank you for the feedback.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That does not look normal to me. I thing your dog has an invaginated (inverted) vulva, which can predispose her to urinary tract infections.

Do NOT get her spayed - often coming into heat will correct the condition!

A normal vulva is triangular at the bottom, and sticks out more. Do NOT follow the advice this website gives on spaying - large breed dogs should not be spayed before 2 years, to allow their bones to fully develop.

https://germanshepherdcountry.com/when-can-i-expect-my-female-dog-to-come-into-season/

The vulva will swell to several times its normal size as the heat progresses. Right now, I can tell she's in the early stages of heat, as it's still quite small.

#6 ·
That is entirely possible. She may be one that comes in more often than what we consider normal (average 6 months) or this heat cycle will settle her into a normal pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.