German Shepherds Forum banner

Allergic reaction to Frontline or Heartgard

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GSD234 
#1 ·
My GSD puppy scratches a lot and has a lot of eye discharge recently. The only thing I can think of was I applied the monthly Frontline on him and gave him the heartgard about 10 days ago. He is 4 month old and this is not the first time he had them, but never had this reaction before.

#3 ·
Depending on where you are, there may be a lot of pollen in the air, He is a bit young for allergies though. Anyone else have ideas?

#4 ·
Just for future reference I would split them up by two weeks. That's a lot on a dog's, especially a puppy's immune system. My guy has allergies and has since the day I brought him home.

Reactions: ausdland
#7 ·
Eye discharge is also an early-stage symptom of distemper:
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/distemper-in-dogs/

Familiarize with the symptoms in the link I provided. If you start seeing any of them on top of the eye discharge, get to a vet immediately. I'd even consider quarantining a pup with suspicious eye discharge for a few days (no walks or outings) just to be sure no other symptoms manifest.

#8 ·
Clear Eye discharge can happen after they eat to I forget the name and is normal. Some pups can get itchy shedding. Keep a note and mention to vet it can be nothing or something. You can try adding a bit of salmon oil or coconut oil to food to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thank you all for your help. He is doing better now, scratch a little less and less eye discharge, but sneeze a little bit, especially when he first goes out He has all the shots (last shot was on 5/18 for #3 distemper). I guess he may be allergic to the grass or pollen. He likes to roll on the grass recently. Will keep an eye on him next month when I give him the Frontline and Heartgard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.