Allergic reaction to Frontline or Heartgard - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogbyte
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Allergic reaction to Frontline or Heartgard

My GSD puppy scratches a lot and has a lot of eye discharge recently. The only thing I can think of was I applied the monthly Frontline on him and gave him the heartgard about 10 days ago. He is 4 month old and this is not the first time he had them, but never had this reaction before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have similar experience?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Master Member

Depending on where you are, there may be a lot of pollen in the air, He is a bit young for allergies though. Anyone else have ideas?

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Just for future reference I would split them up by two weeks. That's a lot on a dog's, especially a puppy's immune system. My guy has allergies and has since the day I brought him home.
ausdland likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD234 View Post
My GSD puppy scratches a lot and has a lot of eye discharge recently. The only thing I can think of was I applied the monthly Frontline on him and gave him the heartgard about 10 days ago. He is 4 month old and this is not the first time he had them, but never had this reaction before.
When did your puppy get its last shots?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

Could be a lot of things, seasonal allergies, food sensitivities, excess yeast, reaction to vaccines, flea, h/w meds. Try not to overload your pup and space things out by a couple weeks.
Custom Billet likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Eye discharge is also an early-stage symptom of distemper:
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...emper-in-dogs/

Familiarize with the symptoms in the link I provided. If you start seeing any of them on top of the eye discharge, get to a vet immediately. I'd even consider quarantining a pup with suspicious eye discharge for a few days (no walks or outings) just to be sure no other symptoms manifest.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Crowned Member

Clear Eye discharge can happen after they eat to I forget the name and is normal. Some pups can get itchy shedding. Keep a note and mention to vet it can be nothing or something. You can try adding a bit of salmon oil or coconut oil to food to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. He is doing better now, scratch a little less and less eye discharge, but sneeze a little bit, especially when he first goes out He has all the shots (last shot was on 5/18 for #3 distemper). I guess he may be allergic to the grass or pollen. He likes to roll on the grass recently. Will keep an eye on him next month when I give him the Frontline and Heartgard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page