German Shepherds Forum banner

Young female incontinence

697 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kazel 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to the Forum. I have a 2 1/2 yo that has incontinence. When I first got her and took her to the vet I was told she has an inverted vulva. I had her spayed at about 7 months. Since then she has had a UTI and a infection around her vulva both because (I believe) she was leaking and the area got irritated. The vet has never mentioned incontinence due to being spayed. She did tell me this last time she thought the infection was because of her inverted vulva. She mentioned if she kept leaking she could perform surgery. After doing research online I read about spay incontinence. I also read that medications for this could be harmful over a long period of time.

I wanted to check on the forum to see what your thoughts were on medication. It sounds as though there have been good results with using it. Also, does anyone else have a female with an inverted vulva? And if so, did you do anything about it?

Thanks so much!

#2 ·
We adopted a female GSD that had been spayed at 6 months old as a rescue at age 5. She also had an "innie". And she suffered from UTI's all her life I'm sorry to say. You could try mannose supplement, it helps some. And wiping after she urinates. She lived to be 12 years old and was a wonderful girl and did not start leaking until later in life. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that early spaying was to cause. I let my now 3yo female go into heat and become fulling developed before spaying her at 18months. It's a horrible condition and vets ought to warn people about it. Sorry...

#3 ·
One of our boxer's had developed spay incontinence very young. She was on the hormone med for life - lived to be 12 with no other issues other than typical boxer lumps / tumors.

#4 ·
If you want to try something natural, this product has been recommended by Holistic Veterinarians: https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Wellbein...ca-20&linkId=ce532971090d4b7f55eb17a7dc278005

Urinary Gold was formulated by our holistic veterinarians to address different aspects of canine urinary tract health.
This proprietary blend of nine herbs targets:

• Acid/alkaline balance of the bladder
  • Comfortable urinary excretion
  • Normal tone of the delicate tissues of the urinary system
  • Normal immunity against bacteria ascending into the bladder

What is Urinary Gold used for?
When your canine requires ongoing support, Urinary Gold is a safe, gentle way to naturally maintain a healthy urinary tract. (Be sure to research changes to the diet that may also be of benefit. A natural diet for urinary health, along with Urinary Gold is an excellent way to ensure the health of your dog's urinary tract).
Canines need to maintain the proper balance of pH (acid/alkaline) in their bladder to keep everything running smoothly. They also require healthy immunity that will naturally defend against bacteria, viruses and other pathogens in the urethra and bladder. Urinary Gold was designed to support both normal pH and normal urinary immunity. If your pet has a tendency to require ongoing maintenance of the urinary tract, Urinary Gold can help.
Urinary Gold is designed to give gentle, preventative support to your dog.

Administer product orally twice daily. Give one drop for every 2 lb (1kg) of body weight up to 50 lb. Over 50 lb, add one drop per additional 4 lb (2kg).

There are also particular "tea's" and other natural herbals that you could try, if you are interested.

Best of luck!
Moms :)

#5 ·
It's likely spay incontinence combined with the inverted vulva. My aunt's vet thankfully told her to let her dog go to 1-2 heats so her inverted vulva can ideally fix itself.

Along with that female dogs can get spay incontince for 2 separate reason. One being the decrease in hormones that actually help with bladder control and the other being they were spayed too early and so never got to fully develop down there. There may be medications that can help or the surgery depending on the reason why. I would probably go to a different vet if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.