German Shepherds Forum banner

Strange poop

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  herojig 
#1 ·
So the main issue there are not really good vet's here in bali and im quite worried as it's not the first time my dog had poop like this, the last time the dr gave us antibiotics and altough it became better it came back. The only option he gives us is antibiotics. Anyone here has similair experience with this type of poop in there dog. It's quite worrying us as it's already the third time he has this. With a few months in between it occurring.

See less See more
#3 ·
No, i do feed him mainly pressure cooked chicken with every day a different organ meat mixed into it. The bones are crumbly after 3 hours and i cook the organ meat. 3x a week he get's yoghurt, plus in the morning i mix his chicken with the chicken soup with timberwolf – platinum formula (grain free) lamb, potatoes & apples formula.

For your info at midnight 3 am he woke me up and the poop was brown, walked with him for about an hour and he pooped a bunch of times. At 7 am he pooped again, later at around 11 am he had this slimy poop after he was already empty. Maybe i am over worried it's my first GSD. But he is now 11 month's old and he had this already 3 times.

He did ate a giant grasshopper the other day that was about 14 cm long.

Below a picture of his dinner two day's ago. Cow intestine and pork liver.

This is the chicken i cook for him what he get's as breakfast minus the dry food. No additives added only chicken and mineral water. (Tap water is dirty here)

#6 ·
First of, thanks for all your replies.

Yes he drinks only mineral water that we get from the 19L gallons. However he does sometimes drinks ricefield water when we walk trough it.

Was the vet able to check for Coccidia? Grasshoppers and other bugs can carry it. Did the vet do a stool analyses? I'm wondering if you have farm supply stores around you in Bali the way we do here in more rural areas?

And when you say pressure cooked chicken, you are 100% sure the bones are crumbly? A partially cooked bone can cause real problems and mucous stool could indicate that. Any vomiting?
This guy eats everything that comes in the house, little lizards, gecko's and crickets. His tail goes up and he goes into hunting mode ?.

He did check his blood but never his stool, not sure if he is able to do that. He checked for parasites in his blood.

Yes we have farm supply stores in the area here.

Everytime i give him his food i check some of the big bones if they are ready. Actually 2 hours of pressure cooking does the trick but i do it one hour extra to be sure.

Vomiting he does sometimes in the morning but never after eating its always just stomach fluid. Im quite worried as the vets here just brush it of that his stomach is sensetive and just buy there overpriced food. That is 80% grains.

#5 ·
Was the vet able to check for Coccidia? Grasshoppers and other bugs can carry it. Did the vet do a stool analyses? I'm wondering if you have farm supply stores around you in Bali the way we do here in more rural areas?

And when you say pressure cooked chicken, you are 100% sure the bones are crumbly? A partially cooked bone can cause real problems and mucous stool could indicate that. Any vomiting?

#7 ·
With the dog supplementing his diet with bugs and reptiles, I'd think that antibiotics may be in order. I don't know what yuck your bugs and reptiles carry. The feces seem to have a lot of mucus in them and I'd guess that the diet you provide is lacking in vegetables & fiber. In the past I was feeding raw honey from local sources (for allergies) and found that was what led to mucus in the stool.

#10 ·
Drinking water from rice fields may be a problem. I carry water for my dog when the weather is hot and humid.
I ordered a bottle with flip out drinking plate.

In the absence of vet care (really? the vet wont do a fecal flotation on him?)...read this article for ideas of things you can maybe get at the farm store. I would treat for Coccidia and a broad spectrum dewormer since Coccidia can more easily damage intestinal linings...then later for Giardia if it doesn't work.
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/puppies/puppy-health/giardiasis-and-coccidiosis-in-puppies/

Will the vet not even advise you on how or when to administer these things? Sorry you do not have support there.

Definitely end the drinking from the warm standing water when out and about. That could be deadly.

Good luck OP keep us posted.
No like i said previously he did a blood test to check for blood parasites and then he concluded he must have hypersensitivity. It's now day three, he woke me up last night one time at 4am and pooped two times, frequency has gone down and his poop is turning a bit more solid. But that might be just the norit.

The funny thing is our previous vet was more concerned with gossiping about her coleges to us or about her husband then with the dog.

His appetite has came back altough he doesnt finishes his full bowl more around 80%. Yesterday he was quite grumpy at his friends when playing outside (neighbour dogs). But today he was more playfull.

He is now 11 months old and its his third time he had a bad diarhea that lasted for plus 3 days.

Previously he was pooping so frequently his anus was bleeding.

Giving him now 3 x 2 norit tablets a day for 5 days as the Dr told me. Contacting other vets if they can do a stool test, but no luck atm. So if the diarhea isnt stopped after 5 days he will provide me with anti biotics.

I will venture tomorrow into the main city to see if i can get some of the meds listed as shown in the link.

Thanks for the links and replies.

#9 ·
In the absence of vet care (really? the vet wont do a fecal flotation on him?)...read this article for ideas of things you can maybe get at the farm store. I would treat for Coccidia and a broad spectrum dewormer since Coccidia can more easily damage intestinal linings...then later for Giardia if it doesn't work.
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/puppies/puppy-health/giardiasis-and-coccidiosis-in-puppies/

Will the vet not even advise you on how or when to administer these things? Sorry you do not have support there.

Definitely end the drinking from the warm standing water when out and about. That could be deadly.

Good luck OP keep us posted.

#14 ·
OP mentioned that his vet suggested a food but he said it was overpriced and full of grains. Besides the bones he's feeding, I would also be concerned how much fat this dog is getting from that chicken skin. If the vet can't find anything wrong I would suspect diet.

#13 · (Edited)
Feeding COOKED bone is worrying me. It may be part of this. Most of us don't feed COOKED bones because they become very brittle (and dangerous). It looks to me like there's possibly some blood in all that mucous, so I'm a little worried those brittle cooked bones are causing damage as they pass. I have sometimes seen very slimy poop in dogs that are passing something irritating that they ate.

In Indonesia, I think that you can get Royal Canin, as other users have occasionally posted about it being available throughout Asia. It's far from my favorite food, but a few months on the Royal Canin "Digestive Care" food might give the dog some relief, let the digestive tract heal, and deal with any nutrient imbalances here. It would give you some time to think carefully about the diet to formulate it for optimum health.

That's not to say that your dog doesn't also have a parasite -- it's possible, and there are probably different parasites to worry about in your area than in North America, where most of our users live. A local vet would be a better resource to figure out what parasites are in your area. Deworming is very safe and an easy step, if your chemist/pharmacy sells canine dewormer. Fenbendazole is especially good as a dewormer because 5-7 days of it will kill giardia too (which might be in the standing water of the fields), and 7 days will kill rat lungworms (which are an issue in most of Asia, and they're carried by snails, frogs and little critters that the dog might be tempted to eat). So I'd be tempted to give a week of fenbendazole just to be safe, if it's available to you.

#18 ·
It's not canine he sold. But im trying to get my hands on this again.

OP mentioned that his vet suggested a food but he said it was overpriced and full of grains. Besides the bones he's feeding, I would also be concerned how much fat this dog is getting from that chicken skin. If the vet can't find anything wrong I would suspect diet.
Try not feeding him any bones for a bit. Firstly, I wouldn't feed bones if they were cooked; even if they are crumbly. Secondly, too much bone tends to make poop very mucousy.
I will remove the bone and skin only feed the lean meat for now.

OP if your meat is human grade maybe just switch to a raw diet. Raw chicken bones are far safer than any cooked bones regardless of how long you cook them. You said you rotate organ meat which is great. How much organ meat are you feeding? In your picture that seems like a lot of liver for a single serving if your dog is getting organ meat every day. Too much organ meat can contribute to loose mucus filled stool. Too much cooked fat comes to mind as well.

Parasites would be a concern as well. As others have suggested deworming would be a good idea.
Yes the food is human grade, however because the lack of hygiene rules here i decided to cook it. Below is a picture of his breakfast dry food and boiled pig heart.

#16 ·
OP if your meat is human grade maybe just switch to a raw diet. Raw chicken bones are far safer than any cooked bones regardless of how long you cook them. You said you rotate organ meat which is great. How much organ meat are you feeding? In your picture that seems like a lot of liver for a single serving if your dog is getting organ meat every day. Too much organ meat can contribute to loose mucus filled stool. Too much cooked fat comes to mind as well.

Parasites would be a concern as well. As others have suggested deworming would be a good idea.

#17 ·
I will get hammered over this comment but raw or even pressured cooked stuff like that is not natural. Neither is dry bagged food but it has a lot more going for it. They need fiber and vegetable nutrients. One of the things they get in the wild is digested plant material. Bottom line is I agree that he has a problem and the mucus is extremely out of norm. A lot of things can cause it - like bacteria - but it looks like the food is not being digested. I would try some premium dry food or at least go with a dehydrated like Honest Kitchen. My last girl was 14 when we lost her and that is pretty good for a GSD. Dry food all 14 years.

#19 ·
I had a vet that suggested such kinds of special foods for my pup cause according to him my dog must have had Hypersensitivity (according to him as a consequence of parvo). They mentioned my dog was going to eat that expensive food the rest of his life. Big Lie.

That's it. I asked them for the study to check for parasites (copro in spanish, not sure in English), and there were a lot of parasites.

My dog had that kind of stools at least two times in hist first year (without counting parvo stools which are dark). They were parasites. Really bad parasites (he used to follow crickets around, you can imagine). My dog used to try to eat wood, clothes, absolutely anything around that time. Please ask your vet to take a sample of his stools, parasites will most likely show there.

My dog has regular stools now, and no, he does not eat that special food. He eats regular kibble and three times a week raw food (beef liver, eggs, broccoli, meat, chicken, chicken feet, etc).

By the way, I would not cook the chicken bones, I would not cook any bones.

#20 ·
Please don't feed your dog raw chicken. You may end up with a very sick dog. I would stop out the food you are cooking for him right now. Feed him the Intestinal food from the vet exclusively to see if he improves. There is nothing wrong with feeding him kibble if that's what agrees with him. Every dog is different!

#21 ·
OKay, registered nurse here. Mucus indicates irritation in the bowel. I would say that is due to some sort of parasite. Drinking from standing water (puddles) is a great way to pick up parasites, especially in a country where hygiene standards are not as good as they are here. Parasites DO NOT always show up in the blood. The vet needs to do a fecal flotation. If he can't do that, even examining a sample of the poop under the microscope will spot many common parasites.

Second most likely cause of the mucus: an infection in the bowel, which antibiotics can fix.

As for feeding bones, anyone who feeds raw knows too much bone causes CONSTIPATION, and hard, dry, whitish stools with undigested bits of bone in them! Look it up: there's lots of info out there on raw feeding!

When I was a kid, I was told to never, ever feed raw bird bones. Bird bones are hollow inside, and that means when they are broken, they have very sharp edges that can puncture the gut. Some tribes of native people actually used to make arrow points out of bird bones before they were able to get metal from the Europeans. And now all of a sudden, we are feeding RAW CHICKEN to our pets?? What changed??

Ask any vet out there: they will tell you how many times they have had a dog or a cat with a bone trapped in its mouth, teeth, throat or gut, and the animal needed treatment to have it removed. It's an everyday thing for them. Oh yeah...I used to work for a vet, so have seen it firsthand.

Lastly, most chickens we eat in N. America are very young, and the bones are still immature and very soft, and not likely to cause trouble. Cooking softens them further, especially pressure cooking. So, things are different here than they may be in the Philippines.

I think the owner is wise to cook the chicken. Raw chicken is a major source of a number of nasty bacteria: salmonella, E. coli, and C. jejuni especially. I got the last one from some undercooked chicken in a restaurant meal, and it totally ruined my vacation in England. Some people say dogs are immune to whatever might be in the raw meat, but why take the chance?

#22 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply, if finally managed to get a fecal flotation booked on Friday. His poop is getting slowly more solid and finally i could sleep a whole night again without him waking me up to poop. Al tough it makes me tired ill gladly do it for him, but a good nights rest isn't all that bad either :grin2:

About the chicken bones as you can see below in the gif, with just a little bit of pressure the bones turn into a paste. However i am taking bones out so he get's less of them.

#23 ·
Please have ur vet do a test for fungal infection of internal organs. One quick tell-tale sign is rapid growth of toenails. This happened to my boy of 11 (Krypto the SuperDog), who was misdiagnosed for years. He finally died of organ failure... but could have been saved (perhaps) with a serious anti-fungal regimen. Note: antibiotics do not kill fungi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.