Swollen lymph node? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I recently noticed a large, ping pong sized growth on kuramas lymph nodes. She has no bites in the area as I thought it could be from one, no fleas or anything like that. The mass feels rubbery, hard but a little squishy, and moves a little under her skin. It doesn’t hurt her at all, which worries me, as if it were just an infection, it’d be painful. I’m scared this could be something a lot worse.. the last thing I could’ve thought it to be is from using her prong collar, which is right in the same area as the swelling. Maybe it could’ve damaged it instead of it being cancerous, but I feel like that’d be very painful as well.
Right now only one side has this swelling, I have noticed excessive water intake and she’s very itchy yet doesn’t have any fleas or mites as I’ve checked over and over again for any sign. I plan on taking her to the vet Tuesday, but came here to see what you guys may think. Kurama will be 5 months the 24th, i also did not get her from a Breeder, rather rescued her.

Last edited by Kennaandkurama; 05-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

I think you need to get a vet to look at it, and probably biopsy it. Depending on what the cells look like under the clinic's microscope, they may need to send it out for pathology. It could be nothing. Or it could be devastating. With our rescue's dogs, I've had lumps come back both ways and there's no way to ever know for sure until the results come back. Only a vet visit can help you know the difference -- so get her in ASAP. (FWIW, the rule of thumb I've learned over the years is that hard masses are always more worrying than soft ones, but they nearly all need to be checked out.)

We'll all hold a good though for Kurama!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I definitely will. But until then, what do you think it could be? Just last night I was petting her and never noticed any bumps right there. Only one side has it.. could it be from her e collar ? I did leave it on longer than normal and mayve put it on too tight.. maybe an abscess in the area caused by that? My only thought is that it doesn’t hurt so I’m unsure about that. She’s so young, and this bump appeared so soon, it makes me not want to believe it’s cancerous. Can I get more info on the lymph node cancers from anyone ?
She is also about to grow out of her collar, * I actually got her a new one today * which was used to put her on a tie out for a little while yesterday, then put the e collar on. I didn’t inspect her neck during this, Could she have maybe messed something up there?
I’ve been getting bit by what looks to be spiders at night, maybe it’s a spider bite? I didn’t notice any marks but maybe that’s just the allergic reaction?

My apologies for writing so many assumptions, I just really hope I can come to a conclusion that’d make sense before I take her to the vet, even though they may tell me the devastating news which I hope not for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 PM

Shasta has occasionally got small wounds from the e-collar if I left it on too long, or didn't get a good connection and it arced. Not ping pong size though. That is quite large. Just little lumps with a red spot in the center. You have to move the collars every 3 hours. If you go 5, it can cause issues I have learned.....

Do you see a red spot in the middle? Maybe a scab?

From what my vet has told me, hard and feels attached can be a problem. If it is loose, soft and moves around, it is less to be concerned about.

I wish you the best of luck. I hate stuff like this!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Sadly it is hard, and attached. I’ll keep the thread updated if anything else happens before I take her in, and when I do I’ll tell the news.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 PM

I could be nothing. You never know. Try not to worry too much until they get results!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Billet View Post
I could be nothing. You never know. Try not to worry too much until they get results!

No, I wasn’t seeing any red spots. I remember a while back when I first used the e collar I saw the little red spots, I put medication over it and didn’t use collars for a while
I’m HOPING it’s nothing, It does move a little, I’ve never dealt with anything like this so I’m unsure how much it has to move to be considered ‘ unattached’, or what ‘ soft ‘ is. but with closer inspection, I can almost fully get my fingers around the mass and it will go back n fourth. Her neck and jaw bones are in the way a little though.
I’ve seen some reports of dogs getting lymph node cancer while using e collars or shock collars but I have a hunch it’s just a coincidence.
A couple people are telling me to poke a hole in it to see what comes out but I’m afraid and thinking I’m gonna let the vet do all of that, and if it is just a cyst caused by rubbing back n fourth or damage, I can figure out that way.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Here’s a couple photos of this bump, a lot of it is under the skin.
Never mind my bad haircut job, I gave her a quick chop to be able to see it better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24E0D614-00C4-4FAE-BC6E-63219FFF4C8A_1558322947427.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	521157   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3C2F05D-6BD0-4EDD-810C-63FE1CF90B8D_1558322962776.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	521159  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 AM

That does not look like it is from an e-collar, and E-collars do not cause cancer.

Do not poke holes!!!! Let the vet do it. You could do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing.

It may just be a fatty lump. I had a dog that had lots of them all over her body for years. They didn't mean anything. You won't know until the vet takes a look. I know it is hard, but try not to stress. It won't do you or Kurama any good.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Elite Member

I'll say it also: leave it alone. My boy has two lumps. One discovered as a pup. further down on the neck, hard and unmoving. The vet xrayed and aspirated it. It was diagnosed as calcium lump (calcinosis) which do to where it is, causes no harm. I just don't use harnesses since those may cause irritation. The second is more recent between his chest and his his arm pit. That was also aspirated by his new vet and diagnosis through aspiration was as she suspected, a fatty deposit, not a lymph node.

It was scary finding both lumps but very reassuring when a positive diagnosis from his vet was made.

Fwiw, aspirating a lump sounds frightening, but it really isn't. He was sedated for his first one. For his second one, his new vet was able to do it while I was giving him treats.

I hope you get good news and it isn't anything of real concern.
Custom Billet likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page