Problem passing stool - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,808
Problem passing stool

I don't know if I should go into the long-ish history of how this has been developing or if it's TMI.

My old dog is having problem passing stool. She can strain for hours and not get anything out. Usually after a certain amount of straining she will vomit undigested food (I assume because it can't go through the normal way). This has happened 3 times now. With periods of semi normal in between. Normal for her now is passing tiny poops many many times per day.

I've taken her to my vet and talked about it, they've done a rectal exam on her to see if there was anything palpable there causing an obstruction (there isn't)

It is slowly getting worse as far as I can tell. She does have a neurologic deficit to her hind end and everybody's top theory seems to be that it's some form of neurologic problem where her bowels aren't pushing it along or she just can't push it out.

I'm taking her back in this morning for X rays to see if they can see any kind of a mass in there that might be blocking her. They also suggested I should maybe take her back to the referral hospital.

If she goes to the referral hospital that's almost certainly going to mean anesthesia and an endoscopy or colonoscopy or something like that and I am a little conflicted about putting her through that or putting her under anesthesia. She's 12 and a half. BUT she is otherwise still totally full of life. She still goes on our walks. I entered her in an obedience competition for fun two weeks ago and she Qed with a smile on her face.

I'm trying switching food. Vet put up some Gabapentin for her in case it is neuropathy related and this might somehow help.

Her food produces really bulky stools....and I am conflicted about whether more fiber is good or bad...would smaller stools help or hurt....

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Moderator
 
dogma13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: michigan
Posts: 5,508
My girl will have similar symptoms when she eats long blades of grass that get tangled in a clump internally.A slice of whole wheat bread with a thick coat of margerine repeated every two or three hours does the trick.Oil +fiber.Maybe worth a try?
Miss you around here!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
dogma13 is online now  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,360
Other than obstructions, the only time I've seen that kind of difficulty pooping was in a male foster dog with a perineal hernia and massive prostate that had totally screwed up his ability to pass stool normally...but my understanding is that those kind of hernias are far more common in intact males. It's apparently rare to see a perineal hernia in a female (but not impossible -- it's an "old dog" issue)...so with a female, it maybe wouldn't be high up on anybody's list of differentials. There's often a softy, fatty area of swollen tissue that pops in and out on either side of the anus when they try to defecate.

The perineal hernia comes from weakening of the pelvic muscles to the point that the diaphram kind of collapses and traps some of the GI tract inside the collapsed area. It's usually fixable with surgery by a board-certified specialist surgeon for about $2,000 (generalists won't do this surgery because it's a delicate procedure working around a major nerve back there).

Here's more info about it:

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/perineal-hernias


If nothing else, it's something to rule out in your search for an answer.
ddwilder likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Magwart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Elite Member
 
Sunsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,977
The vomiting makes me think there's an internal obstruction. The sooner you get x-rays done, and maybe an ultrasound, the better!

This does not sound good.
Sunsilver is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Her food produces really bulky stools.... Any suggestions?

Have you tried soaking her kibble in water overnight, or at least two hours, in the fridge, before feeding?


Dry food pulls water from the the gut to enable movement. Maybe b/c of her age, she needs more liquid to aide her digestive track.
Momto2GSDs is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Have you tried soaking her kibble in water overnight, or at least two hours, in the fridge, before feeding?


Dry food pulls water from the the gut to enable movement. Maybe b/c of her age, she needs more liquid to aide her digestive track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Have you tried soaking her kibble in water overnight, or at least two hours, in the fridge, before feeding?


Dry food pulls water from the the gut to enable movement. Maybe b/c of her age, she needs more liquid to aide her digestive track.
She eats Honest Kitchen. Although I am trying switching her off that to see if it will help at all. I soak it and feed it to her as soupy as she will eat it. She laps it up vs taking bites. I will try soaking everything longer, though.

I've just come back from the vet fr abdominal X rays, where they saw nothing of interest other than that she is full of poop. Everyone seems to think there is a nerve problem causing her bowels just to not be able to move it along, which rings true to me.

the first time this happened she had been eating dirt, and after several hours of trying to poop unsuccessfully I put on a glove and found that there was a hard ball of dirt/feces which I was able to remove for her and then she had a big normal poop right after. I thought it was a freak thing because of her PICA and have really just cracked down on following her and keeping her on a leash and being sure she is not eating dirt.

But it's happened 2 more times since, with maybe a week or two in between, last night being the most recent. She has passed two small stools since this morning so that's something, but I know it isn't as much as what's in there. But she got fluids at the vet which helped before and I also started her on 2 new meds, one which may help increase her gut motility.

I know it isn't good. I feel like this is the beginning of the end if I can't help her do better...pooping is necessary for life.

We are talking about getting her an ultra sound and then maybe going back to the big hospital although I don't really want to do very invasive stuff to find out that there is no treatment available....
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Other than obstructions, the only time I've seen that kind of difficulty pooping was in a male foster dog with a perineal hernia and massive prostate that had totally screwed up his ability to pass stool normally...but my understanding is that those kind of hernias are far more common in intact males. It's apparently rare to see a perineal hernia in a female (but not impossible -- it's an "old dog" issue)...so with a female, it maybe wouldn't be high up on anybody's list of differentials. There's often a softy, fatty area of swollen tissue that pops in and out on either side of the anus when they try to defecate.

The perineal hernia comes from weakening of the pelvic muscles to the point that the diaphram kind of collapses and traps some of the GI tract inside the collapsed area. It's usually fixable with surgery by a board-certified specialist surgeon for about $2,000 (generalists won't do this surgery because it's a delicate procedure working around a major nerve back there).

Here's more info about it:

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/perineal-hernias


If nothing else, it's something to rule out in your search for an answer.
Would this have been something the vet would have found doing a rectal exam of her? Or it only is visible when the dog is straining to poop? The has a hairy bum of course so I don't think I'd really be able to see what is happening unless I shaved her.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Would this have been something the vet would have found doing a rectal exam of her? Or it only is visible when the dog is straining to poop? The has a hairy bum of course so I don't think I'd really be able to see what is happening unless I shaved her.



In the one we had with it, there was a big chunk of tissue popping in and out that we saw. They usually can find it with a rectal exam, and the xrays tend to show organs out of place. If the xray looked normal, you're likely not facing this.


Have you tried a stool softener from the vet? Did the vet consider an enema?
Magwart is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Elite Member
 
Heidigsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,862
Not sure if this would help in her case but worth talking to your vet about - Cisapride.

https://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learn...inary-use.html



https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/cisapride



https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/...4163&pid=11196

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009


Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
In the one we had with it, there was a big chunk of tissue popping in and out that we saw. They usually can find it with a rectal exam, and the xrays tend to show organs out of place. If the xray looked normal, you're likely not facing this.


Have you tried a stool softener from the vet? Did the vet consider an enema?
No, stool softener has not been brought up. I asked about an enema, last time he said let's try fluids first and it did resolve within 24 hrs with no enema. This morning he said if she can't pass anything significant in 48 hrs we'll give her an enema. The good news is, she has pooped during the day today in an amount that is a real improvement over yesterday and fairly normal in that she didn't strain awhile before it came out. This after approx 24 hrs of not passing anything significant, but constantly trying.

She got fluids again this morning at the vet, and I brought her home and gave her the first dose of the meds they gave me (one is to improve motility for gastroparesis--the other is the Gabapentin)

My thing is-- I could give her an enema and bail us out one time but it's just going to happen again unless something changes the way things are moving thru her.

She was slowing down yesterday and having more trouble and I knew it, and I now think I ought to have given her the fluids yesterday before it got bad.

Thanks for the brainstorm guys. Really hoping a food change and the new meds will help. He didn't think she was dehydrated but the fluids to seem to help so i think i need to try harder to get her to drink more somehow
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLOAT true medical emergency: a must read for GSD owners fkeeley Health Issues 297 05-27-2018 02:40 PM
4.5 months, passing by other dogs Greyson.Johnson Development & Socialization 5 01-18-2017 12:52 PM
Digestive motility problem? Katarina Health Issues 129 03-29-2012 02:07 PM
I admit it, I have a problem.... aubie General Information 31 02-13-2009 11:21 AM
Pro Plan & Stool questions mikaK9 Diet & Nutrition 8 07-13-2008 10:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome