German Shepherds Forum banner

Hospital visit question

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
It looks like I'm at an intersection in life with my boy. Hip issue, just got the X-ray results and recommendation from our vet along with all the options that can be considered. I trust her implicitly (that in itself is a huge load off my mind).

For right now since this is just in the beginning phase, my first question for here is what are the hospital visits like for you and for your dog. Did it cause your dog more stress, did he become more anxious or active when he was to stay calm? Any tips. I think a small blanket with our scent would be allowed and comforting. Was it hard on him watching you leave. I don't have to ask if it was hard on you as I can't imagine that it was easy. I've never had to leave any of our dogs at a hospital over night.

Also if anyone who feeds raw, how did you prepare your dog for the hospital food that they feed. I'm assuming a hospital has their own protocol, rules, restrictions concerning home prepped meals being brought in. I'm not that far into this yet to ask directly so it would help to hear experiences and I really don't want him off of raw.

I am in a pretty ok mindset as I have had two surgeries myself THR and revision surgery so I have a bit of understanding about hips in general and THR plus with all the info that I've read on here over the years about FHO and pain management for hips it put me in a much better position to deal with the news calmly and the decision making process going forward will be easier.

Heading to trial tomorrow. He's not restricted But self regulates. He wants to work and He and I need it. It may sound crazy but I'm not very nervous trailing. when I work with him and watch him work, my mind clears everything else out. It's just him and me. He's the same way. If he indicates or shows symptoms during the day, I will pull out and forfeit.

But I needed to unload these two questions before heading to bed and appreciate any first hand experience concerning stays and visits.

See less See more
Reactions: asibley
#2 · (Edited)
Also if anyone who feeds raw, how did you prepare your dog for the hospital food that they feed. I'm assuming a hospital has their own protocol, rules, restrictions concerning home prepped meals being brought in. I'm not that far into this yet to ask directly so it would help to hear experiences and I really don't want him off of raw.
Most dogs have terrible appetites after anesthesia, so they need sometimes need some extra-delicious food if at all possible for the post-surgery recovery.

As for what they'll take...you'll have to find out their policy! It really varies. I've been through a lot of aggravation with with a specialty hospital over feeding -- my dog literally gets bloody diarrhea on kibble (even RX kibble!), and trying to convince vets who don't know his history of that is not easy.

My regular vet clinic will feed whatever I bring -- even raw. I board there too, and they're really good with my allergy dog. I can bring them quart-sized, frozen zipper bags containing a preportioned meal, and they'll pull one out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge as they use one, so one is always thawing, and the rest stay frozen. The staff is smart, and good. They saw my dog at his sickest and know how big a role diet played in fixing his issues.

OTOH, specialty hospitals are a whole other thing. Before VCA was bought by Mars, their regional specialty hospital (which is also an emergency 24-hour critical care hospital) would at least feed the freeze-dried raw nuggets I brought for after surgery (Nulo was the brand). I bought them specifically for surgery recovery as my guy loves freeze-dried meat like it's a treat, and I was trying to be respectful of the clinic staff who may not want to handle a bag messy, raw meat. My dog easily goes off his food for days, so it was the one food I could be pretty sure they could coax him to eat that wouldn't upset his GI tract....and it would be easy to feed.

After the Mars buy-out, VCA rejected the freeze-dried nuggets because the bag said "raw." Here's what the bag looks like:
https://www.chewy.com/nulo-freestyle-grain-free-beef/dp/162462

The same vet tech who had fed it two weeks earlier rolled her eyes and whispered an apology while telling me her manager was unyielding due to corporate policy. She would get in trouble if she even took the bag into the back because Mars management was treating it like it was infectious. So I had to leave the hospital to go find 95% beef canned food -- it was the only thing I could figure out that they wouldn't balk at, that my dog was also likely to eat.

I didn't try Ziwi Peak with that clinic only because I didn't want to spend so much money on a bag of it only to have them reject it too -- the Nulo was expensive as the bags are small.

So...YMMV. If they'll let you bring in a bag of Ziwi Peak dehydrated food or Nulo freeze-dried, it's as close as you can get to raw while still being in a bag and tidy to feed (which may make the staff more comfortable).

#3 ·
Although my girl has bad hips we haven't done surgery($$$). That said she has been overnight for other illnesses and her spay. It is always hard leaving them. She didn't seem to come home negatively affected by the stay. The staff was attentive and took very good care of her. She was very happy to see us when we picked her up and happy to go home.

I can't say what your hospital will agree to about raw food but mine wouldn't allow it. Well not my home prepared raw. They would allow dehydrated products or THK complete mixes as long as I prepared it for them. That said I didn't bother as my girl won't eat when she is stressed. Not even treats. For her spay it was a day and a half with no food and the vet said she would be fine. The other time she had a GI issue and they didn't want her to eat for the first couple of days anyway. I did bring in some prepared THK when we got the ok for soft food and she refused it so I brought it home. The vet offered her their Science Diet canned food as well and she turned her nose up. She came home the following day and we slowly got her back to eating.

Every dog is different but it has been my experience that the first couple of days after a surgery most dogs aren't very hungry. Anesthesia and pain meds usually throw them off eating for a few days.

Post surgery calm depends on the dog. Some are easy, some are not and may need to be given mild sedatives to keep them calm and resting. I would discuss this with your vet prior. Even if you don't need them having some meds on hand might be a good idea just in case.

#5 ·
Good luck today!!!!! When Max swallowed a corn cob and had surgery he was at vet overnight for a few days. I brought a blanket and shirt with our smells. I don’t feed raw and they put him on a special diet due to the stomach sx. It was really hard leaving him, it was in the middle of chaos -isn’t that always how it happens. I was a complete wreck. Visits were not allowed as it just excites the dog. They assured me they adapt and adjust- they do they really do. Wishing for a speedy recovery for your boy.

#6 ·
Mine was in an emergency hospital for several days after abdominal surgery and had no appetite at all. They said dogs do better with visits, so we went daily and stayed a long time. Just make sure they take your dog out to pee before you go in as it may be difficult for you to get them outside if they can’t walk well. It was not stressful at all. They said he was unusually well behaved for the breed and for being separated from us. That could have been due to the meds. He was quiet and polite, but he was also not left alone at all. Even in the crate, there was always someone there. They got a hint of his true energy and drive the day we picked him up.

#7 ·
I should probably add: I have a lot of experience with FHO in rescue dogs (hit-by-car dogs and dogs with awful joint deformity). It's fairly inexpensive, and it works astonishingly well -- but it's a salvage procedure. The rehab is a chore (there's a point where they have to use it and don't want to). Once it heals though, the pain is totally gone.

They won't be athletes afterward, but they can have good quality of life. One of our senior FHO dogs still loves to swim and is a very strong swimmer. I can't compare it to THR as that's not something we've ever done (or likely could afford to do on a dog in the rescue's care, to be honest) -- I just know the dogs that got FHO's are doing very well.

#8 · (Edited)
I just wanted to update and will from time to time with questions etc at the various stages. We've decided on a THR. Waiting for the referral info from.our vet @Magwart, thank you for your input concerning FHO. There has been a lot of info to process and consider. Pros, cons, age for him and me and our health (pretty decent) etc. I say our because I'm not a spring chicken either and I'll be the primary to make sure the rehab goes accordingly. we still have a lot of life left in us and I'd like to get this over with and back on track sooner rather than later. I thought a lot about the difference in recovery time between the two.

@Springbrz thanks for the tip about pitying before going in to visit, if allowed. I started a note pad with questions so I don't forget.

@luvshepards you made me chuckle at ".....got a hint of his true energy and drive the day we picked him up"

@Jenny720 thank you for the "good luck". We didn't Title. I, not we, blew it on our first search. It was a "what was I thinking" blurt alert moment. He may have even given me a "why did you do that" look. He did great and stayed focused for all the elements. though a bit tired afterwards.

I also want to thank again for the help given to me with the ramp question a few weeks ago. I use it all the time and it was a godsend for him at the end of the trial day.

#9 ·
It was his surgeon. We went in during a quiet period to get him. She said everyone on staff loved my dog and were arguing about who was going to walk him outside. She finally stepped in and said she would do it. He was fine until he saw us by the car, then he nearly pulled her over to get to us. He was literally dancing with happiness.

#10 ·
Update w/xray

I expected some degeneration/changes of his hip given his symptoms but not this.

Radiography Medical radiography Bone Shoulder Joint

The ortho appt is in Sept (first available that he has). He is through Tuffs. I did ask to be on a wait list for cancellations and told them I only needed a two hour notice. I'll also be calling in to check on cancellations periodically.

Im in the process of looking into the various therapies that will help support the muscle tone that he has and manage the pain that he is probably experiencing. I know there is pain by the way he avoids stand still weight bearing on his right leg and his hesitancy to dash up the stairs along with the limp etc.

#12 ·
Jenny thanks for the well wishes. He is still active but limited in how much and what he is willing to do. He does a good job at self regulating.

Just as I have found in the past when trying to work through and figure out issues and problems, it seems things are falling into place. Yesterday I found a great joint therapy center with a large pool and certified therapy staff with wonderful reviews. Called and spoke to them and booked our first appt for next week. And am looking for ponds where I can swim him myself in between those appts. I did have one that I have taken him in the past but found that the body of water isn't optimally healthy i.e. Algae blooms and cyano bacteria (sp?) lower level but not willing to take the chance. So I'm on the hunt again.

Later today will be looking at basket muzzles. Thinking of Baskerville. He is pretty good about accepting the closed cloth muzzles from the vet even though he knows that something unpleasant is probably going to happen but its time to buy his own anyway and make it easier on him.

Yesterday I took him to a church that's set off the road and in a woodsy area. We walked a path and then he stopped and headed for the car. His new cue that he is done. Funny part, when we came to the car he veered off toward the church. He wanted to search for odor. No mistaking he went into that drive on his own. Since the church was empty, I just let him search the entire exterior. It was a joy watching him watching his language acting and reacting to empty spaces and ignoring a lot of Chipmunks scurrying around.

When he was done, he headed back to the car.

Your pics of your guy yesterday motivated me to get him out. He and I really needed this, So thanks for that.

#13 · (Edited)
That is good he is good at self regulating. I did almost get stuck with Karat my gsd in the beginning of this arthritis on the beAch Miles out and at just before sun was going down. Just before cell phones - I think or the necessity of cell phones. He did recoup after a break. I’m sure he self regulated after that or I was just mindful for him to get more breaks within that transition.

I had used those wire basket muzzles to get them used to it and works great. I like to use muzzle at the vet if in a lot pain just as precaution. The muzzle I got is from leerburg they show you how to measure online. Being able to pant is more relaxing versus the cloth muzzles.

Swimming is the best. I know when I have arthritis in my legs and the treatment I was under really made worse my joint issues and made it painful to walk last summer. Swimming early evening in the bay last summer gave me so much reprieve emotionally and physically. As I don’t think age or things that make you feel crippled can’t touch you in the water.I’m glad you enjoyed your outing with your handsome boy. Enjoy these times to the fullest. They are magnificent animals just to watch and enjoy being out in nature with. So very healing for all two and four legged.

http://leerburg.com/wirebasketmuzzles.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.