Diy adequan injections on my senior - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Diy adequan injections on my senior

Axle, my GSD had double elbow surgery back when he was about 3. After the surgery they prescribed me adequan injections for a short time to get the lubricity back up as in his elbows. At that time I asked if I should permanently keep him on it and they said it wasn't necessary. Well he's almost 11 now and he's getting stiffer and stiffer as the days go by. I would like to now permanently put him back on adequan for his remaining years.

I went to my vet today and he was giving me a lot of push back when I mentioned wanting to give the injections myself, even though I told him I use to do it. The Vet even went as far as to say that even if he gave me a prescription, nobody would fill it for me. Now.. I'm all for supporting my local vet, but they want $80 per shot. I think that is quite excessive.

He told me that a hematoma was possible by doing it myself, but I never had that issue before. The way I remember doing it was to pinch and pull up the skin above the shoulder, then inject about 1/2" deep about half way down from where I pinch and where the "mountain" of skin starts. Is this correct?

$80 per injection is simply out of budget for me. I was hoping you guys could point me to a good online retailer where I can get thadequan and some syringes/needles. My Vet said they would fill out a request form if I found a pharmacy that would fax them one.

Axle stays right around 70lbs just for info.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 PM

I had a 16 year old great Dane that had arthritis, and the vet gave her injections of that but it didn't work. This what I gave her Ester C,Glucosamine and chondroitin, cod liver oil,and Yucca. She did a 180.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 PM

You might want to try CBD Oil, 500 to 700 mg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 PM
Elite Member

This link to an older thread will give you some answers/suggestions to what you are looking for. I don't have personal experience to offer.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ml#post9077139

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Elite Member

Try Valley Vet online. They sell Adequan and syringes.
Mudypoz likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeearmstrong View Post
You might want to try CBD Oil, 500 to 700 mg.
I considered cbd oil at first, but have seen quite a few people who have experienced seizures with it when the dog never had seizures before. I literally can't find one bad thing said about adequan except that sometimes it doesn't work. Cost seems comparable between the 2 and there isn't a lot out there on cbd in dogs yet.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

I buy it with my vets RX from Valley Vet too. They also sell a cheaper, generic option with the same active ingredient called Ichon that's sometimes used by some vets "off label." Either way, you'll get about 3 shots (depending on the size of the dog) out of a 5 ml. vial.

$80 is excessive for having them do it. Even when my vet does it, it's never over $50.

You might consider how much you like your vet -- the ones I know will actually show a client how to do the injections so that they can do them at home and keep the seniors comfortable. (The injections go in the rump, not the shoulder, and they alternate sides each time.)

I'm a HUGE fan of Adequan. I've used it in many dogs (personal dogs and rescue seniors) so I have a big base of dogs to evaluate. The key thing it does that nothing else will do is stop the cartilage loss -- delaying further degeneration inside the joint -- so you preserve movement longer. That's why starting it early is so important. In about half (or maybe a little more), it also has a very potent anti-inflammatory effect that's as strong as an NSAID without the drawbacks of NSAIDs. We can't figure out why all dogs don't get this effect, but for the ones that do, it's a near miracle-drug.

It's very important to understand that it works best when you are also doing good, safe exercise (walking, swiming, etc.) to minimize muscle wasting and keep joints moving. My vet says he sees vastly different results in clients who adopt an "all of the above" approach: Adequan, exercise, good supplements and pain meds when needed, vs. clients who choose just one of those approaches. There seems to be synergetic effect where it all works together to accomplish more benefit. (It also needs to be said that weight management is part of it. Arthritic joints cannot handle extra weight.)

My last senior was so arthritic in his hips that he was barely ambling behind me on short walks unless he was on pain meds. In week 3 of his Adequan loading dose, he just starting trotting on his own and we jogged for the first time in years, with him setting the pace. He got off pain meds and was better without them once the Adequan and good supplements loaded (Collagen II, Natural Eggshell Membrane, Ester-C, and a big fish oil dose).

My current 12+ y.o. dog (maybe older -- no one knows) still goes about 2 miles every morning despite awful hips. He's been on bi-weekly Adequan for years. He gets acupuncture occasionally too (and it helps). He can climb stairs like a champ, despite his age. He's in remarkably good shape for being so old (and blind, but that's never stopped him).

Don't hesitate to do this -- find a vet who will support you!
Mudypoz likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-09-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 PM

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I buy it with my vets RX from Valley Vet too. They also sell a cheaper, generic option with the same active ingredient called Ichon that's sometimes used by some vets "off label." Either way, you'll get about 3 shots (depending on the size of the dog) out of a 5 ml. vial.

$80 is excessive for having them do it. Even when my vet does it, it's never over $50.

You might consider how much you like your vet -- the ones I know will actually show a client how to do the injections so that they can do them at home and keep the seniors comfortable. (The injections go in the rump, not the shoulder, and they alternate sides each time.)

I'm a HUGE fan of Adequan. I've used it in many dogs (personal dogs and rescue seniors) so I have a big base of dogs to evaluate. The key thing it does that nothing else will do is stop the cartilage loss -- delaying further degeneration inside the joint -- so you preserve movement longer. That's why starting it early is so important. In about half (or maybe a little more), it also has a very potent anti-inflammatory effect that's as strong as an NSAID without the drawbacks of NSAIDs. We can't figure out why all dogs don't get this effect, but for the ones that do, it's a near miracle-drug.

It's very important to understand that it works best when you are also doing good, safe exercise (walking, swiming, etc.) to minimize muscle wasting and keep joints moving. My vet says he sees vastly different results in clients who adopt an "all of the above" approach: Adequan, exercise, good supplements and pain meds when needed, vs. clients who choose just one of those approaches. There seems to be synergetic effect where it all works together to accomplish more benefit. (It also needs to be said that weight management is part of it. Arthritic joints cannot handle extra weight.)

My last senior was so arthritic in his hips that he was barely ambling behind me on short walks unless he was on pain meds. In week 3 of his Adequan loading dose, he just starting trotting on his own and we jogged for the first time in years, with him setting the pace. He got off pain meds and was better without them once the Adequan and good supplements loaded (Collagen II, Natural Eggshell Membrane, Ester-C, and a big fish oil dose).

My current 12+ y.o. dog (maybe older -- no one knows) still goes about 2 miles every morning despite awful hips. He's been on bi-weekly Adequan for years. He gets acupuncture occasionally too (and it helps). He can climb stairs like a champ, despite his age. He's in remarkably good shape for being so old (and blind, but that's never stopped him).

Don't hesitate to do this -- find a vet who will support you!
They are being difficult. I am going to be switching vets. I did find this video for now and it reminds me of what I was doing before. I did do it above the shoulder though since he had elbow surgery, not sure if location matters but that's where they told me to do it. I would like to do it above his tail or in the back of the hip like this video here. Does this look right to you?

https://youtu.be/tQaBe-nzkUU
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Most vets arenít intentionally difficult. Either yours doesnít think it will work or they worry you wonít be able to inject the dog successfully. Find a vet you like better, but donít blame the vet for making a decision you donít agree with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page