Diy adequan injections on my senior - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Most vets arenít intentionally difficult. Either yours doesnít think it will work or they worry you wonít be able to inject the dog successfully. Find a vet you like better, but donít blame the vet for making a decision you donít agree with.
I've had issues with the vet in the past and they should have been red flags but I thought the same as you just said. They misdiagnosed my Shepherd with a large tumor and told me it needed to be dealt with ASAP by an emergency vet (it was Friday evening). Well 7 hours and $2500 later, it was found to be an "unusually large gallbladder" which are apparently common in GSD's.

If he didn't think Axle needed adequan then he wouldn't have prescribed it to me. And if he didn't think I was capable of doing it myself, then why brush me off so quickly when I said I had done it before for 6 months after his surgery with no issue?

I see where you are coming from. I think it's just time to move on. Their equipment is very outdated and the doctor I liked when I started going there has left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with you. He sounds old school and not that competent. I left a vet I really liked for my rescues because she was terrible with my puppy and finally, after years of treating my other dogs, told me she didn’t like German Shepherds. She grabbed him and made him vet phobic through careless handling and her staff told me “All German Shepherds are crazy.” I found a fear free vet who isn’t as book smart but is much better overall. My old vet read studies obsessively and knew every detail of the latest research but was not good at hands on.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I went to the same vet today talked them into showing me how to do it and paid them for the first injection to do so. They injected IM next to his tail. I will be doing the shots from here forward and am confident in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeearmstrong View Post
I had a 16 year old great Dane that had arthritis, and the vet gave her injections of that but it didn't work. This what I gave her Ester C,Glucosamine and chondroitin, cod liver oil,and Yucca. She did a 180.
He's been getting dasuquin for years which has the Gluc/Chon. I'll look into the others you mentioned though. The fact that you had a walking great Dane at 16 years old is a testimant to those. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Crowned Member

That's crazy. I feel like I pay $60 for an entire vial of Adequan....but I may be remembering wrong. I have given my own injections for ever. I have left vets who were too persnickety about letting me do some of my own care. They do vary pretty widely as to what they feel comfortable with, at least in my experience.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 AM

Researched another thing, I am gonna use it for Zoya, it is colostrum and it has a lot of benefits.This is from Dogs Naturally Magazine-I’ve noted that joint-related problems, that originally were helped with glucosamine and then declined, improved when they were given colostrum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page