Injured at vet (boarding), would like opinions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Injured at vet (boarding), would like opinions

So, long story short, the weekend of March 17th, my nearly 7 year old shepherd was injured, somehow, during her stay at the boarder (our vet). She came out walking very gingerly on her front legs, very short steps. The vet sent us to MedVet where they gave her some pain meds and an anti inflammatory injection of some kind. She didn't want to move, cried when getting up/laying down, and basically slept for hours straight after we took her home that day/night. The next day, she was much better. Walking, etc. We went back into the vet. They could tell she was stiff and swollen in the cervical area, and had some pain and trouble turning her head to the left. The vet noticed as the exam went on that she was crossing over with her back legs when walking. We went back to MedVet because of this observation. They did a neurology exam (I can post the write up if needed). Initial diagnosis Wobblers/IVDD/heriated cervical disc. They put her on a round of prednisone. 4 weeks of kennel rest followed barely doing anything. We went back to the vet for a check-up after her last prednisone dose. Introduced light exercise, a walk once a day. It's been two weeks since then.

She still drags/scuffs her feet while walking around the block, though much better than before (we have been keeping counts, she has about 10 drags in a .43 mile walk, down from 62 in half the length on our first walk). But, it does seem that after the prednisone, she may be getting a tad worse. For example, her paw replacements in her back feet are a bit delayed. One week it seems the right leg is worse, the next week the left, etc. She can't raise her back legs enough to stratch her belly when standing, still crosses over when walking, can't "sit pretty", meaning sitting up on her back end, (no balance/strength) to hold her up. Going on 7 weeks since the "injury".

My question is should we be doing an MRI since she isn't seeming to be getting much better, or do I need to be more patient and give it a few more weeks to see if she begins to be able to sit pretty, scratch her belly when standing, etc.? The vet hasn't recommend an MRI because they said she's not a surgical candidate based on the severity of her symptoms, but I'm not convinced (because really, how can they truly know without an MRI).

Any thoughts / opinions / advice would be very much appreciated. I just want my girl back to normal. She was completely fine before this episode. And believe me, I've threatened and made a stink with the boarder over what happened to her, and I still get the "we don't know" response.

Thank you.

Last edited by nwolfe88; 05-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

She was injured at the vet and you are going back to the same vet for a diagnosis? I would get a second opinion at the first vet’s expense at a vet of your choice.
tc68, crittersitter and Sabis mom like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I should clarify, we have been seeing OSU vet hospital, and not the original vet where this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
She was injured at the vet and you are going back to the same vet for a diagnosis? I would get a second opinion at the first vet’s expense at a vet of your choice.
We have been seeing OSU vet, not the vet where this happened.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

Do they think it was caused by an injury? Is it possibly something else and coincidental that it happened while she was boarding? Wobblers is a disease, not injury related. Why isn’t she a candidate for surgery if something is wrong? It seems like an MRI would give you better information.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Do they think it was caused by an injury? Is it possibly something else and coincidental that it happened while she was boarding? Wobblers is a disease, not injury related. Why isn’t she a candidate for surgery if something is wrong? It seems like an MRI would give you better information.
She gets very tense at the vet, and they said she could have tweaked the disc etc. going up/down stairs, having tense muscles from being nervous, etc. They said her symptoms aren't bad enough to have surgery. But I think I am going to get an MRI for peace of mind.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Elite Member

If you can afford the expense I would get an MRI. Like you said, can't know for sure what is wrong internally without imaging.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
If you can afford the expense I would get an MRI. Like you said, can't know for sure what is wrong internally without imaging.
Yes we are at that point. I just hope we haven't waited too long and it's not reversible. It'll be 7 weeks this weekend.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM

I would be getting every test under the sun at the VET'S expense. They should cover every penny since your dog was injured there. If not, get a lawyer. Hope things work out. Very sad.
tc68 likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I would be getting every test under the sun at the VET'S expense. They should cover every penny since your dog was injured there. If not, get a lawyer. Hope things work out. Very sad.
We don't know if it was an injury or a flare up of existing IVDD or Wobblers.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page