Injured at vet (boarding), would like opinions
So, long story short, the weekend of March 17th, my nearly 7 year old shepherd was injured, somehow, during her stay at the boarder (our vet). She came out walking very gingerly on her front legs, very short steps. The vet sent us to MedVet where they gave her some pain meds and an anti inflammatory injection of some kind. She didn't want to move, cried when getting up/laying down, and basically slept for hours straight after we took her home that day/night. The next day, she was much better. Walking, etc. We went back into the vet. They could tell she was stiff and swollen in the cervical area, and had some pain and trouble turning her head to the left. The vet noticed as the exam went on that she was crossing over with her back legs when walking. We went back to MedVet because of this observation. They did a neurology exam (I can post the write up if needed). Initial diagnosis Wobblers/IVDD/heriated cervical disc. They put her on a round of prednisone. 4 weeks of kennel rest followed barely doing anything. We went back to the vet for a check-up after her last prednisone dose. Introduced light exercise, a walk once a day. It's been two weeks since then.
She still drags/scuffs her feet while walking around the block, though much better than before (we have been keeping counts, she has about 10 drags in a .43 mile walk, down from 62 in half the length on our first walk). But, it does seem that after the prednisone, she may be getting a tad worse. For example, her paw replacements in her back feet are a bit delayed. One week it seems the right leg is worse, the next week the left, etc. She can't raise her back legs enough to stratch her belly when standing, still crosses over when walking, can't "sit pretty", meaning sitting up on her back end, (no balance/strength) to hold her up. Going on 7 weeks since the "injury".
My question is should we be doing an MRI since she isn't seeming to be getting much better, or do I need to be more patient and give it a few more weeks to see if she begins to be able to sit pretty, scratch her belly when standing, etc.? The vet hasn't recommend an MRI because they said she's not a surgical candidate based on the severity of her symptoms, but I'm not convinced (because really, how can they truly know without an MRI).
Any thoughts / opinions / advice would be very much appreciated. I just want my girl back to normal. She was completely fine before this episode. And believe me, I've threatened and made a stink with the boarder over what happened to her, and I still get the "we don't know" response.
Last edited by nwolfe88; 05-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.