Underdeveloped Female - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Springbrz
  • 1 Post By KayasDad77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Underdeveloped Female

Hi everyone

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd who’s about 45lbs that won’t put on weight. She eats a raw diet and we’ve been feeding her 2.5lbs of food per day which is substantial. She’s an active dog but I don’t see why she wouldn’t gain any weight eating that much food. She has been tested for epi and parasites, negative on both. She also looks underdeveloped, as if she’s stuck in her puppy phase. Has anyone else experienced this with their dog or have any insight? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

She might just be a small female. Any info on her parents size? Pictures would be helpful. Top over view and standing side view. Breed standard for females is 48-70 lbs. She won't fully settle into her adult weight for another 6-12 months.
My female stayed a steady 65-67 lbs (she's taller) from age 1 to 2 years. Between years 2 and 3 she began to put on more muscle and physically mature. Before we knew it she had literally plumped out to 78 lbs. Then the vet said she needs to take off 5-10 lbs. As much as we have tried to take the weight off she seems to stay steady at 78 lbs even though we steadily decreased her food (80% raw fed) from 2.5 lbs per day to 1.25 lbs per day. At 6 she is still 78 lbs.
Point being if she is otherwise healthy/active and vet has ruled out health issues I wouldn't worry too much unless she is substantially underweight.

This body condition chart might be helpful
https://www.aaha.org/public_document...ionscoring.pdf
Koda'sMom, Sabis mom and Jenny720 like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
She might just be a small female. Any info on her parents size? Pictures would be helpful. Top over view and standing side view. Breed standard for females is 48-70 lbs. She won't fully settle into her adult weight for another 6-12 months.
My female stayed a steady 65-67 lbs (she's taller) from age 1 to 2 years. Between years 2 and 3 she began to put on more muscle and physically mature. Before we knew it she had literally plumped out to 78 lbs. Then the vet said she needs to take off 5-10 lbs. As much as we have tried to take the weight off she seems to stay steady at 78 lbs even though we steadily decreased her food (80% raw fed) from 2.5 lbs per day to 1.25 lbs per day. At 6 she is still 78 lbs.
Point being if she is otherwise healthy/active and vet has ruled out health issues I wouldn't worry too much unless she is substantially underweight.

This body condition chart might be helpful
https://www.aaha.org/public_document...ionscoring.pdf
Thanks for the response. I will take a couple photos and post them here. She is healthy and the vet says everything looks normal so maybe this year she will fill out a bit.
Springbrz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 PM

Has she had normal heat cycles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page