Masticatory Muscle Myositis - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Masticatory Muscle Myositis

Anyone else dealt with this before?

When we rescued Ella at about 6 months old, she was your typical playful pup. About a week into having her she started to act more lethargic and stopped eating. The lethargy continued and she stopped drinking water. I noticed she wouldn't open her mouth so I tried to open it only for her to let our a terrible scream. We took her to the vet thinking it was a tooth or something. We took her to a place that wasn't our normal vet due to it being the weekend. They weren't exactly sure what the issue was so she got prescribed some pain medicine and we were on our way. We didn't feel right about the situation so we got her in at our vet the next day. Our vet seemed perplexed but, while she was in college saw a younger dog that had MMM and said Ella's behavior reminded her of it but Ella was so young and you just never really see that in a dog that age. Regardless, we began treating her for it with steroids while the blood work was being done. Lo-and-behold, Ella returned to puppy status within a few days of treatment. She did in-fact end up having MMM. She hasn't had a flair up since thankfully. Finally thought we were getting this dog that had all the early costs taken care of a boom, had to drop around 2k dollars on her. She's as healthy as can be now.

I was curious if any others have dealt with this and what their dog's symptoms were leading up to you finding out they had MMM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

@Fodder has and I'm sure will be on to offer more info. There is a thread about this that should come up if you use the search function. I'm glad Ella is feeling well and you got a handle on it quickly.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 04-19-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
@Fodder has and I'm sure will be on to offer more info. There is a thread about this that should come up if you use the search function. I'm glad Ella is feeling well and you got a handle on it quickly.
Ahh, good call, that's my bad. Never even thought to do that. Good info in the threads that are already out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

hi...
if you did a search you’ve likely found my posts. i don’t recall where i left off after Keystones relapse, but i wanted to reach out in case you had any additional questions. my pm box is open

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:46 AM

My now 7 year old male had it at about the same age. Prednisone treatment, took a few months to completely alleviate. No symptoms since. He's a schutzhund dog, and his grips are extremely hard. At that time I had concerns about the head muscles being affected long term. I always hold my breath after their first rabies shots. The MMM occurred after his vax, and I've had other dogs have problems flare up afterward. Perhaps related, or maybe coincidental, I don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justde View Post
I always hold my breath after their first rabies shots. The MMM occurred after his vax, and I've had other dogs have problems flare up afterward. Perhaps related, or maybe coincidental, I don't know.
You are the first person I’ve seen that has also experienced this correlation. Keystone had also received his rabies and another vaccine a few weeks before his first symptoms. I no longer vaccinate because I suspect that was the trigger. Unfortunately his masticatory muscles took quite a hit and although we only dabbled in bite work for fun at the end of my friends practices - he had a hard time so we stopped.

Another coincidence to Keystones relapse was following a flea/tick medication. It was ineffective so I doubled up with a serresto collar and boom. I no longer use chemical flea products either. He’s now 6 and 2yrs out of his second episode - I hold me breath as I don’t know if I’d go through with the prednisone treatment again.... the second time seemed to go relatively smoothly but he had to stay on the high dose considerably longer and developed a complex UTI, enlarged liver and later a fungal infection. He is healthy now but on a witches potion to keep his immune system in check / supported.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page