Hoping for more advice! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Springbrz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Hoping for more advice!

Hello! I adopted a German Shepherd at 12weeks back in December... shortly after in January I noticed her eyes were swelling in addition to her lips and she was obsessively itching. We took her in and got her a steroid to help immediately but that was a short term fix. Then we did lots of testing. We thought food allergy and quickly changed her food. She came w eating blue buffalo and it seemed fine at first. We switch to a Salmon prescription diet. No treats. And all testing came back clear for environmental and food except cats n basically herself. I’ve never had cats and I feel awful she’s allergic to herself. The medicine they gave her makes her super drowsy and she loses all control of her bladder. She breaks on w swollen eyes and lips every couple of weeks and she can’t sit still because she is soooo uncomfortable. She is constantly thirsty and checked her blood and they said peeing was a result of the medicine.

My heart aches for her. She is such a good girl and is great w my children.

The Vets been working w Michigan State University and I have to believe they have done all that they can ...but was hoping by some small chance - someone can relate and maybe give me some hope. The medicine can hurt her organs over time and she’s still a pup. Ps Benadryl only takes the edge off. Her legs have almost no hair due to her biting and her skin. 😭

Any suggestions ?????
Best,

Maizey’s mom 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

Has your vet discussed options such as Cytopoint?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Has your vet discussed options such as Cytopoint?
Because is allergic to herself - no. You think that will help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Cytopoint and Apoquel and allergy testing for food and environmental. Find a dermatologist.
Sabis mom and techinstructor like this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrya J View Post
Because is allergic to herself - no. You think that will help?
I would ask your vet about Cytopoint and see what they think. Zoey has only had one Cytopoint shot last summer and sheís still doing well which is surprising given her allergy history. Every dog is different so results may vary. Apoquel is another option as Jax08 mentioned. It worked well for my girls symptoms, however problems arose and we stopped.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Master Member

I had to go googling to find out more about this, having never heard of a dog "allergic to itself" Supposedly they can react to their own dander but it is extremely rare. Was the allergy testing that was done a blood test or the injection of a panel of possible allergens under the skin? In Quinn's last few years we were regularly seeing a very good dermatologist who says the skin testing is the gold standard. This requires shaving and sedation. Once any allergen has been identified, a serum can be made which is given to the dog either daily under the tongue or less often by injection. The serum contains tiny amounts of the allergen and supposedly exposure over a period of time desensitizes the dog. In Quinn's last year we used Cytopoint with amazing results. Itching stopped within 24 hours and the shot lasted almost 12 weeks each time. Cytopoint neutralizes IL-31 which is a protein that sends the itch signal to the brain. The urge to itch is interrupted and the cycle is broken. Cytopoint is almost free of side effects and breaks down naturally without involving the kidneys or liver. Apoquel can have some nasty long term side effects. If you aren't already working with a board-certified dermatologist or in direct contact yourself with Michigan State, that would be a good first step. As you can see, this is a major quality of life issue and your sweet girl needs some relief. I hope you can connect soon with an expert to guide you through this.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Switch to RAW food. Avoid any that have too many ingredients if do premade and add as much organic as you can afford.
Wait out the detox and add in raw organic coconut oil topically and internally.
Also contact holistic vet for herbal immune support and homeopathic vaccine detox.
And add Bovine Colostrum. Excellent immune system enhancer. especially as a pup. She may have been deprived of dams antibodies

A dog who is allergic to itself is allergic to what is going into it and the subsequent shedding of its own toxins through fur, saliva etc.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 04-15-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

Super odd that they started with prednisone and plan to use it long term. You can NOT just take her off. She needs to be weaned. As the dose decreases, the peeing and drinking will.

Cytopoint shuts down itching. It should work to help that.

Apoquel works to modulate the immune system.

My vet started with Cytopoint with my dog. It's the best.

Per my vet and most documentation I've read, aqoquel has very few side effects. However, my dog developed weird growths while on it. They were the first test site in our county and have have prescribed it for years with no issues. My dog used it short term for nasal congestion due to the allergies when antihistamines didn't work during trial season.

Sounds like you did allergy testing already. Did they talk to you about immunotherapy shots? I thought giving the shots would be terrible but it's easy. It's not always successful though.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Elite Member

I find it interesting that she gets swollen eyes and lips. Are you absolutely sure she isn't getting into some irritating plant in your yard or house. Any chance she is getting into ant hills or something like that (unless you are in a cold climate).

https://1stpetvet.com/5-facts-dog-ow...ine-allergies/
GatorBytes likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I find it interesting that she gets swollen eyes and lips. Are you absolutely sure she isn't getting into some irritating plant in your yard or house. Any chance she is getting into ant hills or something like that (unless you are in a cold climate).

https://1stpetvet.com/5-facts-dog-ow...ine-allergies/

So we just put in a pool and landscaping and a fence with cameras and I havenít been able to link anything w each time she comes in. Thatís what I thought tho- I was certain it would come back environmental and it didnít.
It is so odd to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page