Roundworms - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Roundworms

Hi, so the family has a new puppy, and like most he has roundworms. The puppy had pooped on the floor a few times and it was picked up, however no cleaning supplies were used to wipe the floor as the poop was firm. We have since walked over the area, and my question is could there be roundworm eggs where the poop was and could we be tracking it all over the house? If so what is the risk of us getting it?

I know it sounds like I'm paranoid, its because i am!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

worms or not... for the health of your family, cleanliness of your home and for ease of housebreaking... i would get in the habit of thoroughly cleaning up ANY messes that your dog makes, even if there is no visible residue. he may not be tracking eggs specifically, but you all are surely tracking other bacteria’s and fecal matter around.
Stevenzachsmom and Jax08 like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Knighted Member

As Fodder said, I would clean up after any mess your puppy makes using an enzyme cleaner. I love this one because it actually kills ticks and fleas and any and all worms, as well as cleaning up nicely. AND it's non toxic to pets or people!

Kleen Green - Natural Ginesis

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; Yesterday at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Is the risk of contracting roundworm substantial, in terms of non-visible amounts MAY have been left over? Now that we have walked everywhere and tracked it all over, should i be cleaning the entire house or just forgetting about it and just clean future messes?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, however is there any real risk of roundworms from any non-visible residues that MAY have been left over? As in getting on my feet and tracking all over the house.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:14 AM
Crowned Member

Fodder's right. You're worrying about the wrong thing. Fecal bacteria is NASTY stuff, so don't give it a chance to survive.

If you're a "minimalist cleaner," then the easiest thing would be wipe the floor with a disinfecting wipe -- like the ones in the canisters from Lysol or Clorox or Seventh Gen. Spray with enzyme cleaner *after* disinfecting.

You don't want it all over your house -- imagine you drop your keys on the way out on the floor, pick them up, snack on a granola bar on the way to work without using hand sanitizer, and end up with projectile vomiting and days of diarrhea.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 01:31 AM
Elite Member

Humans can't 'catch' roundworms from a dog. The worms are host-specific. As others have said, it's the bacteria in the poop you need to worry about.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 03:32 AM
Elite Member

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Roundworm can be caught by humans according to the internet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Humans can't 'catch' roundworms from a dog. The worms are host-specific. As others have said, it's the bacteria in the poop you need to worry about.

Last I knew puppy roundworms (very common in pups) were able to be hosted by humans. On the other hand, what I've used with young pup "wrecks" is Nature's Miracle --- and I often use simply a damp "soap and water" towel. Haven't caught worms from dogs yet in many years of living with dogs.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page