Roundworms - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM

wow reaing your situation makes ME crazy !
my dog has coccidia once and it drove me crazy too, thinking "should i flip the house upside down and quarantine the whole place?!?!?!"

it drove me crazy and i thought i couldn't do it so i just gave up.
instead, i threw away all his toys, (which was heart breaking because they were some money), showered my dog, and washed the beddings (my bed as well since he sleeps there too).

and i hoped for the best.

2 weeks later after medication, i drop off the poop and i get an all clear and i was very very relieved.

i didn't step on my dog's poop and walk all over hte house though haha

anyways, i wish you luck. i feel your stress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Last I knew puppy roundworms (very common in pups) were able to be hosted by humans. On the other hand, what I've used with young pup "wrecks" is Nature's Miracle --- and I often use simply a damp "soap and water" towel. Haven't caught worms from dogs yet in many years of living with dogs.
I agree! Handle contaminated puppy poop and risk becoming infected. I am no expert on hosts. I know raccoons are a definitive round worm host. The worms never leave their intestines. (Episode of Dr. K Exotic Animal Vet.) LOL! I don't know what kind of host that makes dogs and humans. Intermediate? Aberrant? But I do know that in humans, roundworms often migrate and can damage organs and eyes. The eye thing really freaks me out.

I'd clean everything, just for my peace of mind. Wear gloves. Wash hands. Poop is a hazard - worms or not.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

My understanding is that humans have to actually swallow common canine roundworm eggs to be infected, so good hygiene and hand-washing is basically all you need to not get infected -- pretty low-risk if you practice good hygiene and clean up!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoca...info/faqs.html

That infection method differs from hookworms, where the larvae burrow through the soles of feet when you walk barefoot over infected soil. It's also different than Dirofilaria species which are transmitted by mosquitoes.

Stevenzachsmom's comment just reminded me that there was an episode of Monsters Inside me on Animal Planet about a roundworm in a lady's eyeball -- the eye surgery pulling the worm out of the eyeball is a little gorey so view at your own discretion:

Last edited by Magwart; 04-15-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
My understanding is that humans have to actually swallow common canine roundworm eggs to be infected, so good hygiene and hand-washing is basically all you need to not get infected -- pretty low-risk if you practice good hygiene and clean up!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoca...info/faqs.html

That infection method differs from hookworms, where the larvae burrow through the soles of feet when you walk barefoot over infected soil. It's also different than Dirofilaria species which are transmitted by mosquitoes.

Stevenzachsmom's comment just reminded me that there was an episode of Monsters Inside me on Animal Planet about a roundworm in a lady's eyeball -- the eye surgery pulling the worm out of the eyeball is a little gorey so view at your own discretion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EevqmzkGJaE
Ew, Maggie! Nooooooo! LOL!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page