9 month old hurt her leg - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sabis mom
  • 1 Post By nathangallego26

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

9 month old hurt her leg

So I brought my 9 mo to the yard to play some fetch and when I picked up her ball I threw it up and she jumped up to snatch it but she missed and came down and landed weird on her back legs. She immediately started whining and was limping and holding her right leg up. I had her lay down for a little bit and her whining stopped but then she got back up and began chasing her ball again. And she was doing so with intensity. But when she tried sprinting it seemed like her run looked a little odd. My question is what to do with her. Should I still let her in the yard to run around a bit and exercise? She seems like she doesn't feel any pain anymore as she has resumed her jumping and running in around 10 minutes. Im just scared that it is badly damaged or could get worse if she does too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

I am not a vet. When my dogs do stuff like that I don't generally let them stop moving. Like humans, they twist things and kink things and I have found that often the best thing is to keep them moving and let them walk it off.
You can either have it checked out, let her rest for a day or let her decide what's ok but either way I would stop letting/making a 9 month old jump if you value her joints.
Shane'sDad and Custom Billet like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

Vet check. There are many things that can happen in these scenarios, ccl tears, muscle/ligament tears, Spine/nerves, sprains....... I would keep her on restricted activity (leashed) until your vet can pin down the source.

Sorry, missed your couple last sentences. If any signs return then this ^^^

Last edited by Nigel; 04-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

I dont make my dog jump, I just picked up her basketball and she hopped up to poke it out of my hands. It was just a freak accident.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

So is she limping or favoring that leg at all?
Shadow used to hurt herself all the time when she was a pup. Sometimes we needed to do crate rest but most often if I let her keep moving she was fine in a few minutes. It's sort of like when we run and twist our ankles, if you move that quick pain goes away faster. If you stop it hurts worse.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

She limped for like 2 minutes and she was whining. Then she stopped and continued to run around and play but I could tell that her run looked weird. Still fast but not as smooth. She doesnt seem to be showing signs of pain though
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

I'd have it checked out at the vet. Dogs are tough and hide injuries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page