4.5 month old puppy has thinning hair on the face - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

4.5 month old puppy has thinning hair on the face

Hello!

My 4 and half month old girl has a thinning hair on the bridge of her nose. I haven't seen her scratch it and it does not look red or scaly. She has two hair-thinned out spots on her head too, one which I know happened whilst she was playing. The hair around her eyes also look a little thinned out for my liking. Her trainer ( he has two GSD's as well) mentioned to me that it is normal for a pup since his went through the same thing. She is on salmon oil, calcium and multi vitamins with a good quality kibble.

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow for a check-up to make sure she doesn't have mange, but is this normal?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

What kibble is it?

No, it is not normal.
Also, I would hold out on the calcium supplement. Too much is not good for a young GSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

“normal” might not be the best word, but it isn’t uncommon - if it’s demodex, also known as “puppy mange”. easily treated in my experience (one you have a diagnosis of course). my pup actually grew out of it, no treatment needed.
selzer likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Master Member

Their "look" does change as the fluffy fur ball puppy coat gives way to their adult coat which has a completely different texture and "look"---I'm guessing that's what you're seeing...you might post some pics and you'll get some more feed back.....I agree I wouldn't add supplements unless you're sure the present diet is lacking a particular vitamin or mineral......JMO....either way post back after you see the vet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys!! I was waiting on the test. Thankfully she doesn’t have Mange. The vet said she will grow out of it since she’s a puppy. I will cut down her supplements from two to one a day! Thanks again for the heads up. She is on Royal Canin gsd puppy- unfortunately this is one of the best I can find in India. I do include boiled chicken and egg in her diet, for an overall balance, with a view raw veggies to nibble on in between. Any other recommendations, please do let me know! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1A46672-6882-413A-87EF-2FC745D3055D_1552880542683.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	519213   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F7DB196-50B5-4EC1-A215-742AC06444F5_1552880568079.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	519215  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Could be the moment of the picture but to me her eyes don't look as perky as I would expect from a pup. (Don't feed calcium as a supplement as it can mess up their food balance and cause structural issues)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richa View Post
She is on Royal Canin gsd puppy- unfortunately this is one of the best I can find in India. I do include boiled chicken and egg in her diet, for an overall balance, with a view raw veggies to nibble on in between. Any other recommendations, please do let me know! Thanks
I use Royal Canin GSD puppy dry food as well. Like you, I add a little fresh chicken, turkey or meat topper. It has worked out fine for my puppy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Could be the moment of the picture but to me her eyes don't look as perky as I would expect from a pup. (Don't feed calcium as a supplement as it can mess up their food balance and cause structural issues)

Oh that’s because she just woke up from her nap. Thank you for the recommendation- will have it followed up with her vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page