Torn CCL?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Never tried laser so I have no idea on whether or not it works for ccl repair, but a good brace could help stabilize the joint, at least as a short term solution. Continued movement in the joint can lead to damaging the miniscus(?) and arthritis. Have you looked at care credit? Surgery is expensive and we had to go that route for partial payment. I think it was 12 months intrest free or something along those lines.
unfortunately, I have already exhausted care credit for a surgery for myself and the room I have on it won't cover even half. I'm not in the spot right now and I do not know much else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Torn CCL alternatives

My 9 year old was chasing his toy and came back with the toy, but also limping. He has toe walking over the weekend. Monday took him to the vet - said it was a torn CCL and something about a drawer. Not bad enough for surgery. Suggested a brace since some others have tried it and it worked. While at the vet looked online at some braces and got an idea of what he was talking about - one with metal brackets on the side for stability. Not the sleeve things. Also suggested light therapy. At the vet it is expensive and you have to do it a lot. Plus going to the vet is an issue with a rescue dog that hates other animals, gets excited and slides on their VCT waxed floor - not good for leg don't you think. So a few years ago with another dog when the vet suggested light therapy I found one to do at home from equine light therapy I do that twice a day for 15 minutes.
The brace I found was aocpet dot com I called them with the measurements - they told me it would be a medium. Ordered it that Monday coming home from the vet. Got here Thursday - not fitting right - company sending out a large.
A friend is using the assisi loop, but it only works for a short time, then you have to buy another and then the cost goes up plus you need a vet prescription. So when I was searching for braces I found from the same company aocpet embrace system It can be recharged, bought without a prescription. I have tried it for a couple days. The light comes on, but I do not know if it is working - can not feel anything - hope it is not a dud. I have emailed the company but no reply yet.
I like the service from them when measuring, but one thing that is irritating is that their voicemail says their business hours are Monday though Friday. Those are business days - no hours are mentioned.

Hopefully these 3 things work.
He is on Caprofen and Dasuquin. Along with tramadol for 2 weeks.

I figure keep him calm - only in the back yard for short times - not walks or chasing the toy - until the end of the summer.

Any thoughts on the light, brace, or embrace system would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page