Old GSD losing weight - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

The process to make Hydrolyzed protein also removes all allergens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

Also OP--

Have you tried to standard metronidazole, Forti Flora, sucralfate? That's kind of the kitchen cabinet for upset stomachs, loose stools, etc.

I can't remember how long you've had this dog. I'd go prescription tummy food from vet, definitely with Forti Flora, maybe the other two if your vet thinks it's worth a shot.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

My dog isn't a great eater and has had ongoing problems that affect his appetite. I've found I can sometimes get him to eat (depending on how yuck he feels), if I slip some food into his mouth. It comes straight out again, but enough times his reaction is "That tasted ok" and then he starts to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm going for the ultrasound hopefully tomorrow, and if it's negative we'll get some bloodwork to look for EPI- but I found someone who is willing to consider what it might be!

@Magwart @Thecowboysgirl @wolfy dog And yes, she's the most beautiful sweetest girl. Old dogs rule.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

I really hope you can identify the source of that blood in the stool through the ultrasound.

FWIW, mine had red blood in his stool (often bloody diarrhea) when his food allergies were at their worst. The inflammation created polyps that bled. His anal glands were also constantly impacted and infected from the inflammation of the area. His rectum was always bright red, and he was constantly licking it. It was an ordeal getting all that sorted out, but once we found food that he could digest without it lighting up his GI tract, the inflammation went away, and with it all of the other problems.

We had polyp removal surgery, anal gland antibiotics, and appointment after appointment. Finally my vet basically started thinking out loud about a hunch that a severe food allergy could be behind all of it -- and it was!

While your vet is doing the ultrasound, maybe ask if he or she can also get a really good look at the anal area, and check it for inflammation. It's one more puzzle piece in trying to figure out what's going on with this poor dog.

There are so many things that could be going on -- I really hope it's one that you're able to manage and treat to make her feel more comfortable!
UmaAndNicole likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

If you want to rule out food also consider the Royal Canin Ultanimo hydrolyzed food.

It gave my girl really nice firm stools, after a lot of mess. It did not cure her overall problem so I didn't keep her on it.

But maybe worth a try.
UmaAndNicole likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

So her TLI was low! Just started enzymes today. It's still possible that there's something else going on, since 10 year old dogs don't normally develop EPI. But, we'll go with this for now and hopefully see some improvement!

Thanks for everyone's advice!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Go to enzymediane.com for your best prices on enzymes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page