Skin rash and scabs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

yes. There is a panel just for food.

Did the Cytopoint stop the digging? The digging causes damaged skin that opens it up to infection. So if it worked, then you have somethin to help control the symptoms. At least if you know what they are allergic to you can control the exposure to some extent. we just started allergy shots with seger. I hope it works but we won't know for months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

@Magwart, I’m finally looking at flea and tick prevention. Thank you for the detailed post. NexGuard sounds more like what we need. He scratches collars a lot, so I’m not going to put a collar with flea meds on him. Aren’t ticks different in different parts of the country? Does one medication cover all ticks?

I got back his results and I’m very disappointed. We learned nothing new from the tape or swab tests. It’s an overgrowth of a common staph bacteria and one other, exactly what he had two years ago,when we did the same test. The medications the vet gave us are exactly what he needed and the condition cleared up, but he could get it again.

I had a lot of company over the holiday and all our routines were disrupted. Ever since I was involved with fostering, I’ve kept all my dogs on routines as much as possible. A normal routine literally cured one rescue of anal fistulas. It may seem far fetched, but I wonder if stress from guests could cause both my dogs to experience symptoms at points where they are weakest? He had a skin flare. My other dog had digestive problems. She refused to eat. After several vet visits, we have no new disgnosis for either of them.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
yes. There is a panel just for food.

Did the Cytopoint stop the digging? The digging causes damaged skin that opens it up to infection. So if it worked, then you have somethin to help control the symptoms. At least if you know what they are allergic to you can control the exposure to some extent. we just started allergy shots with seger. I hope it works but we won't know for months.
Sorry it took so long to reply. I’ve been offline. The Cytopoint may have worked some but he still scratches a few times a day. I don’t know why. Mostly in the morning when he first wakes up. The sore spots were on his upper back just below the shoulders and under his armpits both areas he can’t reach by scratching. I later found anothrr oozy spot on his back just above the base of his tail where he can’t reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

We found a stray poodle the day before Hurricane gloria whose tail was chewed off we think he may have did it. We kept him intact we thought he been through enough. He was severely allergic to fleas and other things even one would cause a problem sores and rashes bald back. The only dog I owned with allergies. Vet treated him with presnisone not that I recommend it but he did damage his back from all the itching and did it did give relief. He was older and eventually the allergies seemed to disappear but was kept on low dose of pred for other reasons. Also sarcoptic mange is successfully treated with ivermectin - two doses by the vet and it’s all that scratchy is over with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Isn’t ivermectin dangerous? German Shepherds are on the list

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-...-toxicity-dogs
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Isn’t ivermectin dangerous?
When prescribed by a vet and treated by a vet it does take care of the issue well. That is why I mentioned my poodle - he was older and pulled muscles in his back just to scratch leading to back issues. He scratched for allergies although mange is a very vicious itch and is very stressful to the dog which to me is more harmful. Of course I am no vet and to be discussed with yours or a second opinion but I have seen vets use it with mange be easy to treat and rid of with ivermectin. I also had a dog first treated for allergies it turned out to be sarcoptic mange a month later . The vet treated the dog with ivermectin and capstar and the dog stopped itchy the next day - we followed up with second treatment and that was it. I would not mess around with mange. My German shepherds are taking interceptor - a heartworm preventive which is ivermectin my first gsd was on interceptor for 12 years. I would discuss it with your veterinarian.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

Ivermectin is not dangerous at the levels in HW prevention pills. They're so low that even MDR1 dogs are supposed to be able to take them safely (and that's causing some of us to wonder if going that low is why ivermectin-resistance is emerging in the Gulf Coast, but that's another discussion). OTOH, people who dose dogs with cattle ivermectin products absolutely risk OD'ing their dogs.

Ivermectin given at levels to treat demodex is something like 1000x higher dose. THAT is a problem for MDR1 dogs.

The researchers at WSU are the leaders in MDR1, and here's what they have to say:

https://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/docs/lib...rsn=4a75cb38_0

Here's the key language from the linked report:

"Macrocyclic Lactones

If used according to label doses

In mutant/mutant & mutant/normal dogs, all US FDA-approved heartworm
preventives (ie, ivermectin, milbemycin, moxidectin, selamectin) are considered safe for use.

See specific trademark products for label indications.

MDR1 mutation

Although the label heartworm prevention doses of the following drugs
are safe to use in dogs with MDR1 mutation, higher doses can result in adverse neurologic effects in mutant/ mutant and mutant/normal dogs
(anecdotal).
—"
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Yes ivermectin for treatment for mange is much higher then the regular dose needed. Interceptor does not prevent mange but I believe advantix plus does. We had our collie on something else for heartworm. It is interesting to read about the chemo in mdr1 dogs.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

For something like mange I would do the mdr1 test not sure how long that takes. I know the vets would not prescribe my collie interceptor though.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you all for the suggestion, but my dog was tested and they didn’t find mange. It was a common bacteria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page