Neutering - Should I wait? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post

By the way, a few months ago I watched my spayed female hump my boy.
My female spayed at 4 months humped everything in sight. The female husky we have now will start humping my intact male and air hump all the way acros the house until you throw a shoe at her to break it.

Humping is dominance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Neutered dogs pick on intact dogs. I haven’t noticed it but that is one reason daycares won’t take intact dogs, as most of their clients neuter dogs. Every daycare told me that when I said I was not going to neuter. It is their personal experience.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #23 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

@Jax08 I'm in CA, USA! I moved from Surrey, UK early 2017. So it was right of you to think I'm in the UK 🙂

Yes... My trainer has asked me to neuter my dog asap... And said that 1 year is definitely ok to neuter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

@LuvShepherds huh. I've never thought of it that way. That makes sense (other than avoiding 'accident litter' in the day care).

Some people look at me like I'm a villain when I tell them my 1 year old, 80lb GSD is still intact. Honestly. Get a life.
post #25 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

You do know that food and toys are a no no in a dog park and is almost a guarantee for a dog fight? It has nothing to do with dogs that are intact or neutered. The only cure for that is to remove all food / toys or remove your dog.

Also, I wonder if you know that hormones can have a calming affect on a mature dog that starts to show up at two years or older? Nothing like calm confidence if you have ever seen it.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #26 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

@MineAreWorkingline of course I know. But the parks I go have a lot of tennis balls around. A LOT. And people still bring toys from home... And gets annoyed if other dog steals it. Like, how does a dog supposed to know it belongs to him and his dog? Lol
post #27 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Um...see the part where the other alternative was to remove your dog. Taking him to a dog park full of dogs and balls is setting him up for failure. Neutering won't fix that.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #28 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

There are a wide assortment of trainers in the U.S. Why don't you look up an IPO club and see who they recommend in your area.

post #29 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for your suggestion but this isn't an issue of 'dog parks ok or not.' Dog parks is a part of our days, I live in an apartment so dog parks is his time to run around all he wants.
post #30 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
There are a wide assortment of trainers in the U.S. Why don't you look up an IPO club and see who they recommend in your area.
Thanks Jax! I'd definitely be looking into it. Still have one session left with our current trainer so we'll see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page