• 1 Post By GandalfTheShepherd
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 1 Post By GandalfTheShepherd
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Vomiting after heartworm pill

Gave Ghost her heartworm pill today and about 2 hours later, she vomited(mostly liquid). I know this sounds gross out I could tell by the smell that it was the HW medicine. I know for a fact she didn’t get into any trash or table food or anything like that, and nothing outside because it’s storming like a sonofabish right now. We’ve been using the same treatment on her for a year and a half and this has never happened before. So my question is - have any of you experienced this and did you re-dose your dog at a later time? I don’t want her to miss the dose bc we live in Southeast Louisiana and the mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks are horrible. I left a message with the vet but wanted to ask y’all as well.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 PM
Master Member

Good question. I don't know but shouldn't it be in his system already? 2 hours. As I understood it from an incident yesterday, things move on from the stomach after an hour. The very first dosage I gave my 8 week old pup in March, I made the mistake of giving both Nexgard and Heartgard at the same time. He threw up that night. I didn't even think of giving him another dosage.
lalabug likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Elite Member

Wait for your vets response for sure before doing anything... but from what I know you do not want to give another dose if it has been 2 hours then he threw it up, it should have already been absorbed. What heart worm med is it? Many dogs have reactions to these harsh meds unfortunately... not much you can do about it if you live in a high risk area but another brand may be worth exploring. We had issues with our white shepherd on revolution and he has been much better now on just interceptor (granted less drugs overall!) . My first shepherd had the MDR1 gene mutation and the vet gave him heartguard, ended up screwing him up pretty bad and he had horrible seizures for the rest of his life. You really have to be careful with these things. I think you can also do things to make it easier on their system, a holistic vet recommended giving milk thistle after a dosage of heartworm meds as well as waiting 2 weeks longer between doses (the doses are effective for longer than they state). Sorry if this didn't make much sense... up late working and i'm tired lol
lalabug likes this.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

Things should move from the stomach within 2hrs but I’m sure you all have heard of or experienced dogs producing undigested food vomit 2 or even 12hrs later at times. There are many reasons why.

Anyway, I work at a kennel where up to 200 adult dogs are housed at any given time - they are all dosed with heartgard every month on the 1st (the dogs who receive nextguard get it at the same time). I’d guesstimate that about 10 dogs each month either vomit or pass (poop) an undigested heartgard each month... our vets almost always recommend dosing again the next day.

Something else to note, another 10 dogs are either accidentally double dosed or snatch their roommates heartgard. They all survive.

Can’t say what I’d do since I don’t use heartgard for my personal dogs... but at work, I do what the vets advise.
lalabug likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

@GandalfTheShepherd it’s the Trifexis pill.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Crowned Member

lala, I think you may want to consider changing this heart worm med.

From Trifexis site: "Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were itching, decreased activity, diarrhea, inflammation of the skin, redness of the skin, decreased appetite and redness of the ear."

Reporter Jim Strickland from Atlanta has obtained the detailed clinical reports on the adverse events from Trifexis®. In its short life, (its been on the market for about 3 years) the drug has resulted in the following reports:
Emesis (vomiting): 23,360 number of times reported
Lethargy: 7,366
Lack of Efficacy: 5,707
Vomiting: 4,570
Ineffective, fleas: 2,870
Diarrhea: 2,468
Behavioral disorders: 1,448
Seizures: 1,363
Pruritis (
defined as an unpleasant sensation of the skin that provokes the urge to scratch): 1,044
Anorexia: 1,028
Itching: 1,017
Ataxia (lack of muscle coordination): 953
Shaking: 930

Ineffective: heart worm larvae: 810

"my My 5 year French Bulldog after taking Trifexis, she had seizures for three months, acted disoriented like this in between seizures. Trifexis admitted their med caused this reaction and paid for her care up until the point came where the vet knew she would die. She never had seizures or any other neurological impairment before this med. I don't want my dog to have died for nothing."

Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis: Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com

“Trifexis® and Comfortis® both carry warnings about this on their websites. Vomiting, loose stools, bloody diarrhea were the most common adverse reactions during Comfortis® trials. There are also some reports of seizure like symptoms, lethargy, weight loss and respiratory issues.”

https://www.facebook.com/TrifexisKillsDogs

Moms
lalabug likes this.

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 08-01-2018 at 06:51 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

Agree with moms, trifexus is a lot of medications in one... it's known to be pretty rough for many dogs with a lot of side effects. Perhaps look into just giving the heartworm in a form by itself, check out interceptor. You would have to find another treatment for fleas and ticks however. My white shepherd apparently couldn't handle any flea or tick meds so we had to stop going for hikes in the woods until the weather gets cooler out...
lalabug likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

Ugh...you're in the belly of the beast for HW infection right now...you're right to worry. I would check with the vet about whether you maybe need to give a different form of prevention this month (maybe a topical). I honestly don't know, but it would worry me, as we're in the middle of the "bad season."

Trifexis is the only one I actively avoid because it's so unpredictable which dogs will react. It's a very, very small subset that react, but nobody's figured out why they do, so you can't say "dogs of this breed, or type, or age" are more likely. It seems like it's just random.

NOLA vets seem to love Trifexis -- so many adopters and people down there tell me it's all their vets prescribe. I can't figure out why. Maybe Elanco has a super-star clinic rep down there!

I would consider switching to a topical, since they may be better tolerated by tender-tummied dogs (Revolution, or especially Advantage Multi). In SE Louisiana, I think that Advantage Multi is probably the most reliable protection because there's no documented resistance to it -- Auburn Univ. found it to be the only product with no resistance in the ivermectin-resistant strain of heartworms! After 4 months, it provides steady state protection (not just a quick larvae kill and then being filtered out by the liver, as all the others do, but constant protection all month long)...and it protects against mites, which can be an issue here. The downside is that it stinks, badly, for a few days. If you have kids, you have to keep their faces out of the dog's mane for a while. I don't think the flea protection is as good as Trifexis/Comfortis, but it's been good enough for me -- and I want the best HW protection because of where we live. Our rescue's vet has her own dogs on it, and she shifted us to it exclusively for our foster dogs. I've used a lot of it the past few years because so many of our foster dogs are on it, and I've never seen a serious adverse reaction.

FWIW, I've heard some vets say off the record that they don't prescribe AM or other topicals because they think their clients are idiots and won't apply topical products correctly. They need to be applied to the skin -- separating the fur to expose the skin. These vets think that's too complicated for their clientele, who may just squirt it on top of the fur. You may have to tell your vet "I'm not an idiot and can read the insert on how to apply it correctly."

If your dog is otherwise healthy, you might also talk with your vet about the injection called Proheart6 that lasts for 6 months -- a lot of people love it for the convenience (you only have to worry about HW med twice a year, no chance of vomiting it up). However, it can only be given to adult, healthy dogs (not puppies, old dogs, or sick dogs).

If you want to stick with a pill, a lot of dogs seem to tolerate Interceptor pretty well, and it's cheap. In SE Louisiana, I personally choose to avoid Heartguard and its generic equivalents -- the emergence of ivermectin-resistant HW is real here, and it's no joke. I've known people here whose dogs came up positive who never missed a dose of HG (though the company will pay for treatment if it happens, and you buy it from a vet....not worth it to me) -- the resistant strain is still rare, but it's here.

ETA: You should probably report your dog's reaction to the FDA through their web portal. I believe they are monitoring Trifexis, or at least they were.
lalabug likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Vomiting after heartworm pill

@Momto2GSDs thank you sooo much for your knowledge, as always!!! Putting on my research hat and will be rethinking this route!

Yessss @Magwart I knew you’d understand! Like I said it’s never bothered her in a year and a half until now. (Other than the fact that I know she doesn’t like it)

I think a lot of the vets around here suggest it because EVERYBODY knows we have the holy trinity of fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes and because we get warmer earlier and stay hot longer I think it is just a big problem for such an extended period... so it seems convenient to have something that is 3-in-1. You know, because there’s that faction of lazy owners who just don’t want to fool with two or three different things or some simply can’t remember and then you have that risk by missing a dose. I guess it’s just ‘easy’ so they suggest it and people go for it.

My vet actually did also recommend the shot and I had not researched it enough at the time so I went with the Trifexis instead. So I’ll definitely be rethinking it after this! Thank you so much for your input, friend!! *bowing down*
@GandalfTheShepherd is it just super sensitive skin with your white? Did it cause itching or hotspots?

Last edited by lalabug; 08-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

No, my white shepherd has never had a skin issue. Never had a hot spot. For him it caused him to become very lethargic, stopped eating and drinking, throwing up for several days. We took him to the ER vet from this reaction, they wouldn't admit it was the drug but we have only ever seen those symptoms when he was given Revolution and another month comfortis. The reaction occurred after giving the heartworm/flea&tick preventative. So far he has been fine on just Interceptor. I'd really recommend that over heartgard or similar drugs like trifexus if you don't know the dogs genetics.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 08-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page