Almost lost Deja - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
How can you tell if it's bloat (twisted stomach), twisted colon or something? Can you see it on xray? Or do you have to do an exploration surgery?
When my smooth collie had bloat, it was diagnosed by xray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debr1776 View Post

Agree ^^^as far as I know x-ray is the most common way to diagnose gastric torsion ?? \(stomach twisted) or a twisted colon.
As most folks here know the term "bloat" can be misleading sometimes.....though it was used to describe both of my dogs what they actually had was gastric torsion......
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Master Member

So scary! What a relief you caught it quickly.
wolfy dog likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Elite Member

What a horrible scare! I'm so sorry that you both went through this. A while back a member had suggested in a thread that it is prudent to know the feel of your dog's stomach both when full and when empty so that you know the feel if it becomes abnormally distended or tight. Good for you for trusting your gut and the fact that you know her inside and out. The what if didn't happen because of that and your fast action. My best thoughts for a quick recovery.
Aly and wolfy dog like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
How can you tell if it's bloat (twisted stomach), twisted colon or something? Can you see it on xray? Or do you have to do an exploration surgery?
The only way was through exploratory surgery but thank heavens they found it quickly. she was trying to poop but couldn't produce anything. My SIL, who is a retired vet, told me that any belly extension is treated as an emergency.
Hope this helps all of you be vigilant.
Aly, Sunsilver, CometDog and 1 others like this.
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Yikes, When Deja comes home what is the after care?
I will find out. She is still not eating but her vitals are good and she has peed. They want to keep her until she eats but I am going to try to take her home this evening as long as her vitals and peeing ares till OK.
It is really scary how fast they can be gone. I love that dog from here to the moon.
Aly, Sabis mom, car2ner and 1 others like this.
post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debr1776 View Post
You could see the black gas pockets on the x-ray throughout her intestinal area. And even though she was so miserable, still wagged her tail and licked my face in that waiting room.
I can't wait to see her hunting mode when she smells deer.
Sabis mom and CometDog like this.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Elite Member

What would have caused something like this? I have head of (obviously) bloat and the genetic component to it and some environmental things that may be linked to bloat. Never heard of a colon twisted.

Good luck with her. Sucks that we have to deal with all these things.
wolfy dog likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Aly
Master Member

Ironically, I'm participating in a thread on a horse forum where an owner is wondering what to do with her dog who's apparently showing possible bloat symptoms (unproductive vomiting, no elimination, refusing food, restlessness, etc). She took the dog to the vet earlier today, where the vet diagnosed the "early stages of bloat," but did not take x-rays. We ALL told her to go to the ER vet ASAP and get x-rays to find out what's going on.

Frankly, unless the dog is in extremis, I don't know how anyone could diagnose this without x-rays, "early stages" or not --- whatever that might actually mean. So, IME, x-rays are critical to distinguishing between a bad bellyache and the [I]life-threatening emergency that is GDV and/or splenic torsion. (Note that splenic torsion can occur with or without a buildup of gas in the stomach).

I too have heard the suggestion that owners familiarize themselves with what a dog’s full stomach feels and looks like as a way to possibly recognize GDV. Here’s the problem that I have with that approach: A dog with a belly full of food looks/feels nothing like the distention that you see in dogs on the verge of crashing from GDV. What you’re looking for (but hope never to see) is the kind of stomach distention that’s not uncommon among starving children. But, by the time you see that, it may be too late.

Much better, I believe, for owners of all breeds to familiarize themselves with the symptoms of gastric dilatation volvulvus (GDV) so that they can intervene in a more timely fashion. Much as Wolfydog did. GDV and splenic torsion are more common in large, deep-chested breeds like GSDs and Danes, for example, but they're not limited to those breed types.

Here are some articles with good descriptions:

Gastic Dilatation and Volvulvus: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...lvulus-in-dogs

Causes, Signs and Symptoms of Bloat: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...s_15682-1.html

Five Warning Signs of Bloat:
https://www.vetbabble.com/dogs/healt...ave-dogs-life/

Aly
GatorBytes and wolfy dog like this.
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

So sorry to hear about Deja!!! Good thing you caught it in time.... Did the vet suggest tacking the stomach up? My first shepherd passed from bloat... we didn't catch the symptoms in time... it can all happen so quickly. I am very curious too what after care will look like for her? And how old is she? Is she a raw fed dog or kibble? Anything you could tell that may have triggered it?
wolfy dog likes this.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page