Lyme Diagnosis and I Have Questions... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

Aly, SNAP tests are IDEXX's (I think they hold the SNAP trademark for in-clinic tests). IDEXX claims they provide reference-lab quality results -- their page has links to papers on them:

https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/...4dx-plus-test/

I've not had to treat Lyme since we don't have it, but I've done a lot of month-long rounds of Doxy for HW. Most dogs tolerate it very well. FWIW, you can order it from Wedgwood Compounding Pharmacy in NJ in any dose you want, in a chicken-flavored wafer, at a much lower cost than filling it at a regular pharmacy. For example, if your dog needs 200 mg per dose twice daily, your vet can order you a wafer that's 400 mg, so you can easily give half in the AM and half in the PM. Your vet has to call them -- I think a month's supply costs in the neighborhood of $35 per dog. The 400 mg "quad tabs" are scored in quarters to make them very easy to cut. They also make chew treats with up to 350 mg. each. It's SO much easier than fooling with lots of little 100mg capsules!

https://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/veterinary-practices/
tim_s_adams likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-11-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Who is Dr. O, @Jax08?
The vet that teaches at Cornell who has access to the Lyme's researcher and latest info.

My understanding of Lyme's is that the Doxy kills part of the spirochetes but the remaining form cysts to "hide" from the abx. When the body is under stress, the cysts will burst.

Many people I know have had success with a combination of western medicine and herbals.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

@Magwart, thanks for the info on the SNAP test --- don't know how I missed those tabs. Thanks too for the info about the compounding pharmacy in NJ. Did a little survey of local prices for doxy early this AM and was appalled. Woke me right up.

Aly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

Thanks @Jax08! Off to hunt him/her down...

Aly
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Who is Dr. O, @Jax08?
The vet that teaches at Cornell who has access to the Lyme's researcher and latest info.

My understanding of Lyme's is that the Doxy kills part of the spirochetes but the remaining form cysts to "hide" from the abx. When the body is under stress, the cysts will burst.

Many people I know have had success with a combination of western medicine and herbals.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Hello! So m ch information out there in regards to Lyme and they all conflict. Which makes it hard to figure out what's best.

I am a registered vet tech in the D.C. Area and here are my thoughts.

If she is not clinical, do the C6. Get an actuL number. It can generally tell if you are dealing with an active infection. If the number shows an active infection, but she is subclinical,don't treat, but retest with another C6 in 3-4 weeks. If the numbers go down, good. Your pup is fighting it off. If they stay the save or rise, treat with Doxy fir 30 days.

This is the treatment my internal medicine Dr recommended when my vet(a cardiologist) dog tested positive on the snap.

His dog was normal on the retest. So no treatment.

I don't like to mess with Lyme. I have personally seen dogs from Lyme induced kidney failure. But I think that you can use what is available to see if treatment is needed.

As for holistic vets, I know a few in MoCo MD. Let me know if that's not too far for you. Also my favorite vet in the world works for a great practice in DC and she is awesome with GSD. So if you want a second opinion let me know.
Jax08 and Aly like this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Are those people medical professionals? I would be interested in the studies if they are out there. Dr. O vaccinates after the infection is inactive because there are studies showing the vaccine helps kill off any spirochetes hiding and helps prevents an active flare up. But that was a few years ago and it's ever changing.
It's dry reading (pour yourself a cup of coffee before digging in) but this is something worth a read. I don't think it's black and white, and it doesn't provide yes/no, but it is based on research.

Look below Table 1. OspA / etc.

Quote:
OspA is in all vaccine types
# OspA is proinflammatory
# OspA sensitizes
# OspA in human chronic Lyme arthritis
# OspA in Lyme nephropathy
Quote:
OspA was found in the renal cortex of dogs with Lyme nephropathy

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...2006.tb02880.x
Jax08 and Aly like this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

This is an older clinical study that you might find interesting and somewhat helpful if you haven't read it already. https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/181/3/1069/908787

This is just food for thought. I would ask to have further testing done now to verify if it is an active infection before starting the antibiotic course. or at least have the blood drawn and sent and then start the course. This way, while on the course of antibiotics, at least you will know for certain during the course if it is an active infection.

It's just a thought and it won't leave you wondering with what ifs.

My boy has come up positive/active and we've done the Doxy course also.
Aly likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Hello! So m ch information out there in regards to Lyme and they all conflict. Which makes it hard to figure out what's best.
Boy is that ever the truth! Thanks, @gsdsar, for your thoughts and the suggested protocol. I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow, so will go over that option with him. MoCo is 20 minutes from me, so yes please send on those names! And, I would like the name of the terrific vet that you mentioned. Thanks again.

Aly
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

Thanks @WIBackpacker and @Heartandsoul for the additional articles. Logging off to wade through tonight's reading.

You guys are a wonderful resource!

Aly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page