Another ER visit... - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Elite Member

So glad to hear Gandalf is doing better! I was also reading the updates nervously :/ I hope he continues on the path to wellness again <3

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Gandalfs blood results... looks like a few things wrong. The vet isn't in today so I haven't had a chance to review the results with her yet... thanks all for keeping him in your thoughts! He's doing better, still not super keen on eating breakfast but his energy levels are good and he seems much more comfortable today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9803_1528819777993.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	505517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9804_1528819787641.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	505519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9805_1528819798229.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	505521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gandalf_1528819807457.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	505523  

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 06-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
post #63 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Not sure If those pictures worked or not.
MCHC: high
Phosphorus: high
Lipase: low
Creatine kinase: high
T4 was normal but on the low end of normal...

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Gandalf, you may have mentioned it but what do you feed him in general?
post #65 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

@wolfy dog
He gets Instinct raw beef. The ER vet said she doesn't like Instinct and would recommend Primal instead. Never got into making homemade raw because it's not cost effective here and not the best resources. Our regular vet just called and said his bloodwork wasn't anything to be concerned about, he said he couldn't really see a link between the issues he was having and he thinks he may have just had a GI upset episode. He's gagging again today..

SQUIRREL!
post #66 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

I’m glad he is better. You still don’t have a diagnosis? That is difficult. My rescue had bleeding and vomiting twice, and we never got a complete diagnosis. I am transiting her from Hills ID which I don’t like but it worked, to LID and she is doing well.
post #67 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Given that vet's baseline breed knowledge, I think I'd take their diagnostic and imaging results to someone else for a work up. I think Gandalf might really benefit from a team-approach at the vet school. They might consult with your regular vet remotely for a reasonable fee -- over the phone, without you taking the dog in (the vet just sends the full file over).

If your Vet's willing and it can be arranged with the college..I'd try the above....or contact U of F and make another appointment......in the past I've had 2 of our dogs at NC state and the teachers/surgeons there were in a word.....Awesome ! Their diagnostics.....their explanations of how and why procedures were needed....their communication/ phone calls to us were perfect.....on both occasions I can't think of anything negative to say about the vet school.

Based on your last thread and now this one with Gandalfs on going issues... I'd try the vet school if I was you
post #68 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That's right, no diagnosis. I like the idea of taking him to the vet school. However we just took a hit from the ER vet.. we will have to wait until after the bill comes through to see if Healthy paws is going to reimburse us. Not sure if they will consider this a preexisting condition or not. To me it's not, his poop was fine, his past issues were diarrhea. This gagging behavior is completely new to us, and turning down food. In the past he's always been a chow hound. I'd like to wait if he's stable and comfortable enough before taking him in again... just not sure how he's going to feel. He's active now, eating all his daily portions although at weird times and drinking, still just gagging. He gets raw meat bones, I still wonder too if a piece may have broke off and gotten stuck in the back of his throat? Or a reaction to Revolution? Or maybe even a reaction to the lepto vaccine? I'm grasping at straws still.

SQUIRREL!
post #69 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

How about fox tail grass?
post #70 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
How about fox tail grass?

None in the yard and he hadn't been to the woods in a long time. I actually don't see it that often.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page