Shadow - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Shadow

Poor Shadow continues to decline. It's getting hard for me to watch. She has no energy most days, her left leg continues to be an issue and her eyes are so dull now. I was watching her sleep the other day and heart was pounding and she was panting like she had just run a marathon. At only 10 degrees it was not hot outside.
Nothing works, she improves for a minute and then backslides. She is happy and always excited to accompany me on outings, but she watched out the window of the car for two minutes last night and then laid down and had a nap. Walks are difficult as she limps half the time. I threw the Frisbee this morning and she just trotted over to where it was and laid down.
She still barks at the TV but with less enthusiasm and she still barks @GatorBytes on the phone but then wanders off to nap.
Carmen gave it her best shot and I am flat out of ideas.
Going to pick up some NEM for her leg today and see if that helps, have to get some vitamin E for me anyway.
Have been putting her bed outside with us so she can nap in the sun. I keep hoping sunshine will do it's job and make her feel better, it's been a long, hard winter.

I think my baby is just getting old. She's too young for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Knighted Member

I am so sorry, Sabis, I wish I knew something that would help. It's heartbreaking to watch them go downhill...
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Iím really sorry. Itís so hard when they start to fail. Iíve been there more times than I like to think of.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

Im really sorry to read how she is declining. From my own experience with NEM, it made a difference for my old girl, I give to my boy, and it has made a big difference for me with my minor aches. Better than Advil. The positive effects should show up 7-10 days as that was about the amount of time I noticed the difference for myself. Can't remember for my girl but it was quick. I also recommended it to two friends both suffering from Knee pain after surgery and after recovery period. one had amazing results with it, the other didn't notice a difference.

I hope it works for Shadow. My best thoughts for both of you.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Knighted Member

So sorry to hear this...hopefully sunshine will help, it does for me! Best wishes to you both!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Sorry to hear she's not doing well.Hope the warm sunshine helps her feel comfortable.
Sabis mom likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

Oh no, so sorry to hear Shadow's not feeling like herself. I hope the warmer weather and the NEM helps.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I always knew this one would not grow old, but facing it sucks. It is weeks like this that make it so hard to justify her continuing.
I know she's in pain and I know she feels like crap and short of drugging her I am just fresh out of ideas. The info on supplements on line is just mind boggling, I will need much longer then her short life to figure it all out. To add to my frustration she has shown intolerance to some very odd things which means that I need to add supplements one at a time to track what she actually reacts to. And it seems like sometimes when I combine things it causes a reaction to things she was previously fine with, so every misstep takes me back to square one.
I just want my goofy, sweet, shy girl back.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

When you get the NEM tomorrow. Also get Magnesium (Bisglycinate form). New Roots brand for NEM (not combo form w/glucosamine) and Naka (Canadian made) for magnesium. Will help with smooth muscle contraction, heart health etc. Co-factor in over 300 enzymatic processes in the body. Bisglycinate has the least trouble on poop end of things (others can cause diarrhea).

Thinking of you and Shadow <3
Sabis mom likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

Aw, I'm so sorry she's struggling. Hope you find that perfect potion to help her.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page